Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need help with PVC connections

1. Back To Top    #1

Need help with PVC connections

Today I pulled off the flex hoses that came with pool and ran 1.5" PVC. All went well until I started flowing water again and ALL the male adapters (at filter ports, pump inlet & outlet, return). I used PFE sealing tape on all the threads. So I thought maybe I didn't use enough tape....pulled everything apart, cleaned threads, ran 2x layers of tape...still leaking . Now I've got couplers everywhere and looks crappy plus the drips. Its definitely leaking through the threads.

What did I do wrong? Too much tape? Not enough? Wrong sealant?

Any help is appreciated.
    18x33x54 Resin Hybrid AGP, 16,800 gal, 1.5hp Pentair, 22" sand filter, Saltron, PVC plumbing, Main drains, wedding cake steps, TF-100, Installed August 2013

2. Back To Top    #2

Need help with PVC connections

Use a thread sealant rated for PVC pipe. The tape doesn't work so well.

You can get it at any hardware store, Lowe's, HD.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Need help with PVC connections

rector Seal 5 comes in a yellow squeeze tube. At my Home Depot it was in the bottom row of the galvanized pipe plumbing fittings, across the aisle from irrigation and sprinklers.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the suggestions. Will try one of these tomorrow....fingers crossed.
    18x33x54 Resin Hybrid AGP, 16,800 gal, 1.5hp Pentair, 22" sand filter, Saltron, PVC plumbing, Main drains, wedding cake steps, TF-100, Installed August 2013

5. Back To Top    #5

This is what the small package looks like. I post it as i was not expecting it to look like this... or be where it was.

-- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100