Very first tests with TF-100 . Very high CYA, CA and FC

Aug 27, 2013
We recently became owner of a 15K gallon pool (guesstimate based upon volume). And in process of learning to maintain it.

Last week the pool started turning green for second time in one month. Last time this happened we called the pool services. This time we thought of fighting it ourselves. The first thing we noticed that it was out of Chlorine tablets and we used tablets we bought from Costco. Then we used Leslie's testing services and "shock" advice. Algae started going away but pool was not really clear.

Then I discovered troublefreepool and did following
-Shock using Great Value bleach 8.25 (45 ounce based upon 60 CYA reading by Leslie).
-Washed the cartridge and
-Cleared clogging from Polaris 360, so it started moving again.

The pool improved overnight. Leslie's reading suggested:
FC = 5 ppm
pH = 7.5
TA = 90
CYA = 60

Today I got TF-100 kit and here are the results:

• FC = 12 ppm
    TC = 14 ppm
    TA = 110
    pH = 7.5
    CH = 800 ppm
    CYA = 100

I repeated FC and CYA tests but got same results.
Pls advice as to whats going on. And what should be next step for us?

JFYI,The pool is used approximately used 2-3 times a week.

Also from pool school I understood high CYA is caused because of CL tablets. Should we even be using Chlorine tablets at all?

Welcome to TFP.

You've already done the best thing you can do. Starting to read pool school and getting the TF-100.

Unfortunately you need to drain about half of the water to begin with.
Once you do that SLAMing the pool will be much easier.

Welcome aboard.

Just like Bama said, you are on your way to a Trouble Free Pool. Do the drain and refill and report back. Oh....stock up on some more of that Great Value bleach.

ceo_nikka said:
Should we even be using Chlorine tablets at all?
A resounding no. I know.... seems like a waste of the tablet feeder.

As you've learned from Pool School thus far...the trade off for solid chlorine products is either upping CYA or CH, neither of which do your current levels allow for more of.

Jeetyet said:
Do cartridge filter setups not have a way to vacuum to waste?
Unfortunately, they don't. Since backwashing is not a function of cartridge filters, they are not installed that way.

Some (including mine) have a small hose bib installed to the plumbing after the pump.... but that can be a very long process to drain a pool with a garden hose.

Home Depot rents trash pumps that will take care of the drain in about three hours.

I have done some drains with garden hose siphons where you place the end in the pool and at the hose bib you turn on the water and when the hose is full of water, you turn off the bib and then hake the hose off the bib and it will siphon the water out of the pool. If you start two to here hoses, it will drain the amount need in a day or so but watch how much you take out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well the news is that the Stage 3 water restriction are in place. Hence we cannot drain and refill the pool.
I have to wait till end of this month.

Is there anything else we can do in the interim?

ceo_nikka
Posted: August 30th, 2013, 10:13 pm
May be dump question.
Any howtos on how to drain the pool? I see lots of levers but not sure which way to pull. I can go always trial-and-error path.

If you try the. "Trial and Error" method, you should turn off your pump between lever moves. You want to make sure that you don't cause too much pressure build up. You can cause damage to the plastics.

Finally, able to find spend some time and drain half of the pool.

Latest reading

FC = 1.5
CC = 0
CYA > 100
PH = 8.2
TA = 120

What should be next step? Fill the pool or add 120 oz liquid chlorine first?

Both.

You need chlorine in there to keep bad stuff from happening. Since it's partially drained? I assume you cannot run your pump so should stir it up somehow. (Brushing, someone swimming, anything)

Need to get it filled back up to dilute the CYA down and get your filter running again.

Once you get it filled back up and filter running, check you PH and lower it if still high.

scott.MI said:
Both.

You need chlorine in there to keep bad stuff from happening. Since it's partially drained? I assume you cannot run your pump so should stir it up somehow. (Brushing, someone swimming, anything)

Need to get it filled back up to dilute the CYA down and get your filter running again.

Once you get it filled back up and filter running, check you PH and lower it if still high.

Oops. I had pump running. Didn't realize it should be off? Just did that.

ceo_nikka said:
Oops. I had pump running. Didn't realize it should be off?

I'm not familiar with your pool, so that comment was based on an assumption. I was assuming your returns would be above the water line and the pump would be off. All pools are different so if you can safely run the pump, that's good.

With that in mind, if you can still filter/circulate water. Get chlorine in there before it starts going green on you. Lower your PH. Unless your waiting for the end of the month still, fill er' up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.