Air in my pump

May 14, 2013
A few days ago the Jandy Actuator Valve failed and caused all of the water to be sucked out of the spa and into the pool through the pump. A day passed before I noticed. When I noticed the problem, I quickly refilled the spa and replaced the valve, unfortunately not before a lot of air was sucked into the pump.

Once I got the spa refilled and manually changed the valve to pull from the pool, the pump started right back up. Over the last several days I've noticed the pool isn't looking as good as usual and the pump isn't completely full of water as it should be. I can tell through the window where I take the filter basket out that its sometimes only half full of water.

When I take the lid off the pump, the water fills the pump so there's no need to use a hose to fill it. I've tried to open the air release valve on the filter. When I do this air comes out, but so does a lot of water. All of the instructions I've found say to close the air release valve once you get water coming out.

Any advice?

There's a chance that the pump got hot and something got warped. Check the pump strainer basket and the lid for warping and cracks. Also remove and reseal the drain plugs. Then check the front port adapter.

Thanks for the response. The pump basket and lid look good. I cleaned the filter today and checked the drain cap. So far everything looks ok.

I tried putting a hose into the filter pump and pushing water through. The pump didn't overflow, the water just kept going through the lines. Is is possible to push the air out with the hose? Any other ideas?

I'm getting ready to call the pool repair man...

Once the pump is fully primed, there should be no air in the system. The pump itself will purge the air unless there's an air leak on the suction side of the pump. You can take a water hose and run water over the pump basket and plumbing fittings with the pump running and look to see if the bubbles stop and the basket fills with water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.