Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water Circulation to my infloor cleaning system

1. Back To Top    #1

Water Circulation to my infloor cleaning system

I am trying to troubleshoot my infloor cleaning system. I get a few nozzles that pop up sporadically but others that do not come up at all. I have a Paramount 6 port module I have taken it out, cleaned it, the impeller/gears turn and all the valves are closed and remain closed as I turn the impeller [seems to me that the valves should open sequentially as I operate the module manually but i dont know?]. I know there is water coming into the module housing through the center pipe to the impeller but the pressure gauge doesn't work. So Im trying to determine if I need a new module? new nozzles? Have my valves in the wrong position for water flow which may be affecting the pressure in the system? Or last but not least there is some other problem I am ignorant of??

Thanks,

JB
    My pool:
    Built 2004, 14K gal, IG plaster,Pentair WhisperFlo 2 HP pump(1 speed), Pentair FNS Plus DE filter,
    In Floor cleaning system, Attached Spa with Spillover seperate WhisperFlo pump for jets.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water Circulation to my infloor cleaning system

The first thing to do is replace that pressure gauge.
    What is your filter pressure running?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

pool guy just back flushed it this weekend so now its running between 17-20psi
    My pool:
    Built 2004, 14K gal, IG plaster,Pentair WhisperFlo 2 HP pump(1 speed), Pentair FNS Plus DE filter,
    In Floor cleaning system, Attached Spa with Spillover seperate WhisperFlo pump for jets.

4. Back To Top    #4

Is that with the floor cleaner running?
    If so that filter pressure is a little low.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm not sure along valves are set in the correct position. I will check it again today.
    My pool:

6. Back To Top    #6

I think it's got to be the module. I'm getting water in but only a few nozzles are popping up, they have good pressure but they are not shutting down and no other nozzles are popping up..
    My pool:

7. Back To Top    #7

So the heads that pop up don't go back down?
    Do they go back down when you stop the pump?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    So the heads that pop up don't go back down?
    Do they go back down when you stop the pump?
    Yes they go back down when the pump is off. I have had different nozzles pop up on occasion also all of them go back down when the pump shuts off. Oh, and the two that were up yesterday were in the spa on the seat. The one in the bottom had some air bubbles coming up from it like it was trying to open but couldn't?
    My pool:

9. Back To Top    #9

Sounds like the distributor is the problem
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Sounds like the distributor is the problem
    Would that be the module inside that dome shaped housing with the valves?

Thanks
    My pool:

11. Back To Top    #11

Yeah that's it. Have you pulled all the gears out to see if any of the teeth are worn?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

I have not just turned the impeller in there and all the exposed gears turned may be something internal that is worn I guess? Can these be rebuilt or are they just throw away and replace?
    My pool:

13. Back To Top    #13

AFAIK they are rebuildable. There was another thread with a similar problem, and the OP there was able to find the guts for his unit.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

14. Back To Top    #14

I realize this is a month old, but if you haven't fixed your problem yet, Blue Square's distribution valve is a much more efficient design and more economical. They also make replacement heads for most other in-floor systems, that are also a more efficient design. They are out of Phoenix.
    Replacing the Distributor valve with a Blue Square unit will require some replumbing to get it to fit.
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

15. Back To Top    #15

Replacing the valve with a different brand is entirely impractical, in my opinion. They are all fundamentally the same, and they all have the same problems.

In the years I've been around here I have never seen this problem not be a result of worn gears. They may not look worn...but they are, just enough to snag.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden