Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair Heater problem

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair Heater problem

I had a pack rat chewing a way in my Pentair MasterTemp gas heater. He completely chewed off the wires to the Stack Flu Sensor. I have ordered the part but it will not come in until after Labor Day. I have renters coming in for the next week and you like to have them be able to use the spa.

I am not sure of the purpose of this sensor but I assume that if the flu is to hot the sensor will open and turn off the heat. Could I loop the end with a piece of wire keeping the circuit closed? This would be a short time and the only heating that will be done is the spa and then for probably an hour at a time.

If that will not work is there anything I can do to use the unit while I wait for the part.

Rich March
    Tucson, AZ
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool and integrated IG Spa, estimated to be 10 year old. Whisperflo pump with 3hp two speed pump, Pentair Master Temp heater, and Pentair 320 Clean & Clear cartridge filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair Heater problem

You may be able to splice the wires and get it working, but I certainly wouldn't bypass it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

If you did this and for some reason it were to over heat and other safeties not catch it, it could be destructive. If it were you living there it would be one thing but with renters, I'm not sure I would consider it.

As Bama said, splice the wires and connect it properly, if you can. If the wires were chewed all the way up to the very end of the metal, well I would wait for the real part.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

You probably cannot just short that switch because it is not a switch, it is a temp sensor. Shorting it would not give the board the resistance range it is looking for, and wouldn't fire anyway.

Unless the rat chewed the wires off flush with the sensor, get some wire and rewire it.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you for the input. The wires were chewed to the metal so not enough to splice. I will wait for the new part.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool and integrated IG Spa, estimated to be 10 year old. Whisperflo pump with 3hp two speed pump, Pentair Master Temp heater, and Pentair 320 Clean & Clear cartridge filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

That stinks. Once you get the new replacement part and it's installed, I would add maybe some moth balls or some deterrent to keeps the rodents from coming back and making more of a mess of the heater.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Since mastertemps resemble a cube, they are easy to rat proof using chicken wire. If I can find them, I have some pictures of a heater a customer rat proofed I will post for you to see.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.