Algae Starting?

Apr 30, 2013
Hello!

Our 36X18 IG SWG pool is just a few weeks old. I noticed last week that there few slick spots on the liner but nothing visible. 2 days ago, it started to look "patchy" on the sides and the bottom of the deep end - 8ft. The water from outside the pool looked crystal clear yet it was a touch cloudy when looking through googles. The SWG was reading low so I put half a bag (20lb) of aqua salt in the shallow end (3ft). I let that mix for about 5 hours, I didn't see anymore visible salt. Then I vaccuumed the deep end, then scrubbed the bottom, walls and sides very thoroughy, including the shallow end. Then I vaccuumed the entire pool again. The salt level went back to normal.

After all this, the "patches" were almost all gone and the liner felt smooth again except in a few spot I missed. The water was clear from the surface but with googles then water looked like it had particular matter...like undissolved salt? I'm totally guessing. It wasn't dirty looking particules.

Yesterday, I did nothing to the pool. Today, I just took some test results:

TC = 3 on one test strip, 2 on a different brand test strip
pH = 7.4 on one, 7.6 on the other
TA = 100 on one, 120 on another
CYA = 30-50
TH = 100 so ~67 CH (I think I calculated that right)
Salt test = 520PPM...how that can even be even close I have no idea because the SWG (intellichlor IC40) says the salt is fine.

So, I'm really unsure what to do next to make sure these slimy patches don't come back. I'm going to vaaccum the pool again today but I feel like something has to be off. Any advice would be greatly apprecciated!

Thank you!

SLAMing is a process that will take days to weeks ... ideally you do one or the other. SLAM or swim.

But, as long as you can see the bottom of the pool and the FC > min and the FC < SLAM level depending on your CYA (see pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock) it is "safe" ... but will make the SLAM process take longer.

So, keep the FC > SLAM level when you will not be swimming (like overnight) and then let it drift below SLAM level when you want to swim.

Of course you will have no idea of your CYA level or if you are above or below SLAM level FC until you have a good test kit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.