Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algae Starting?

1. Back To Top    #1

Algae Starting?

Hello!

Our 36X18 IG SWG pool is just a few weeks old. I noticed last week that there few slick spots on the liner but nothing visible. 2 days ago, it started to look "patchy" on the sides and the bottom of the deep end - 8ft. The water from outside the pool looked crystal clear yet it was a touch cloudy when looking through googles. The SWG was reading low so I put half a bag (20lb) of aqua salt in the shallow end (3ft). I let that mix for about 5 hours, I didn't see anymore visible salt. Then I vaccuumed the deep end, then scrubbed the bottom, walls and sides very thoroughy, including the shallow end. Then I vaccuumed the entire pool again. The salt level went back to normal.

After all this, the "patches" were almost all gone and the liner felt smooth again except in a few spot I missed. The water was clear from the surface but with googles then water looked like it had particular matter...like undissolved salt? I'm totally guessing. It wasn't dirty looking particules.

Yesterday, I did nothing to the pool. Today, I just took some test results:

TC = 3 on one test strip, 2 on a different brand test strip
    pH = 7.4 on one, 7.6 on the other
    TA = 100 on one, 120 on another
    CYA = 30-50
    TH = 100 so ~67 CH (I think I calculated that right)
    Salt test = 520PPM...how that can even be even close I have no idea because the SWG (intellichlor IC40) says the salt is fine.

So, I'm really unsure what to do next to make sure these slimy patches don't come back. I'm going to vaaccum the pool again today but I feel like something has to be off. Any advice would be greatly apprecciated!

Thank you!
    26K, IG vinyl, Intelliflo VST 2, Intellichlor IC40, Tagelus TA60 sand filter, Pentair Easy Touch Control Panel, Automatic Pool Cover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Algae Starting?

Well, you need to get one of the Recommended Test Kits since strips are worthless. Then you need to SLAM the pool. [slam:1a6qbwe8][/slam:1a6qbwe8]

Once that is done, you may want to raise the CYA into the recommended range for SWG pools.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks so much!

Sorry if this is an obvious question, but is it okay to swim in now? How soon after we SLAM the pool can we swim?
    26K, IG vinyl, Intelliflo VST 2, Intellichlor IC40, Tagelus TA60 sand filter, Pentair Easy Touch Control Panel, Automatic Pool Cover

4. Back To Top    #4

SLAMing is a process that will take days to weeks ... ideally you do one or the other. SLAM or swim.

But, as long as you can see the bottom of the pool and the FC > min and the FC < SLAM level depending on your CYA (see pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock) it is "safe" ... but will make the SLAM process take longer.

So, keep the FC > SLAM level when you will not be swimming (like overnight) and then let it drift below SLAM level when you want to swim.

Of course you will have no idea of your CYA level or if you are above or below SLAM level FC until you have a good test kit.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Sounds like when you brushed you just sitrred up some dead algae to me. That is most likely your particulate matter.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!