Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Backstop net for basketball hoop

1. Back To Top    #1

Backstop net for basketball hoop

I have a play pool with a basketball hoop on the side. It is a great addition to the pool since it allows another option of play for the kids (and me!). However, the hoop faces the neighbors yard - throw an airball or brick it trying to make those difficult HORSE shots and you have to jump the fence to go retrieve the ball.

Does anyone know of any net system that can be used as a backstop to "extend" the fence so it is less likely to go over? If it can be taken down and stored (for aesthetic purposes) then even better. I'm even down to make something myself but I'm not even sure where to start.
    NEW POOL: 11k IGP, Pebbletec, Hayward Pro-Grid 3620 D.E. Filter, 1HP Pentair?/Emerson
    OLD POOL: 12.3k IGP, Pebbletec, Pentair 60 D.E. Filter, 1HP Pentair/Emerson + 1HP Pentair waterfall, Pentair IC40, and borated

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Backstop net for basketball hoop

Sounds like all you would need is a couple PVC pipes in the ground and then a couple longer smaller PVC pipes that slip inside. Connect a big net to the long pieces of pipe and then just slip them into the sleeves in the ground when you want the net up.

Of the sleeves could be above ground and attached to the fence.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Where can I get a net?
    NEW POOL: 11k IGP, Pebbletec, Hayward Pro-Grid 3620 D.E. Filter, 1HP Pentair?/Emerson
    OLD POOL: 12.3k IGP, Pebbletec, Pentair 60 D.E. Filter, 1HP Pentair/Emerson + 1HP Pentair waterfall, Pentair IC40, and borated

4. Back To Top    #4

I would imagine you could find something like a soccer net at a sporting goods store. Or maybe even a roll of plastic netting from a hardware store.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

We put the volleyball net behind the backboard with the net curved towards the pool on both ends. Doesn't stop all, but definitely keeps in a large number of basketballs.
    11,000 Gal Trilogy "Utopia" Fiberglass Pool, 1HP Jandy Pump, Jandy CS200 Cartridge Filter, Raypak 199k BTU Heater, Liquidator, CMP Off-Line Chlorinator. Cleaners: Polaris 360, Blue Diamond, Poolvernuegen Pressure

6. Back To Top    #6

Something like this would be ideal. I don't need it to look that professional... but maybe I can figure out a way to do that a little more homemade...

http://www.sportstop.com/Balls-Field...-Backstop-Wall

7. Back To Top    #7

That looks like it would work if you can rig it up somehow.
    23,000 gal IG Plaster 1989
    Purex Triton FNS Plus DE Filter Model FSNP 60
    1 Hp pump, Polaris 380 w/booster pump
    700 Gal Spa
    Laars Lite Heater T-F 100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

I am in the same situation and was wondering if you found a solution that worked well. Thanks in advance.