Pump no go - even with new capacitors

May 31, 2013
JAX, FL
Split by moderator from HERE. Please start your own thread to avoid confusion. Thanks, jblizzle

I'm having a similar problem with a regular single speed motor. I got a brand new capacitor and installed it. The pump is still making a loud humming noise and won't run. the impeller is totally cleared of debris and spins easily. The pump/motor is only about 2 years old.

Any thoughts on what else it could be?

My pool is turning very green and thanks to a recent monsoon is also full of sand and other particulate matter.

Re: Pump not starting - even with new capacitors

nedchavez said:
TheLoneHoot said:
Any thoughts on what else it could be?
If you energize it and can spin it by hand and it runs, check if it uses a centrifugal switch.

In my case, the guy with the single speed motor, it's not running. :( It just makes a loud hum or buzz. So it spins freely, has a good capacitor, and even if I turn it on and try to spin it by hand while it's buzzing it never "catches" and runs.

I'm not sure if it has a centrifugal switch or not - I'll look over this thread and see if the location of one is mentioned.

Pretty sure I'm just going to have to buy another pump. It's getting ugly out there at my pool and my wife's pretty anxious for me to get this resolved ASAP. But I'm still going to be curious about what caused a 2 year old pump to go bad.

Yep, that's what I just got done doing about 15 min ago - just got out of the shower from that little workout (bending over and working those mounting bolts in 90°+ temps with 60% humidity). But yeah, I just bit the bullet and replaced the motor (and shaft seal of course)... $256! :shock:

But it also turns out I was TOTALLY wrong about my motor power and age... I thought it was ½HP and only 2 years old - nope... 1HP and 6 years old. Man time flies - both my wife and I thought it was only 2 years ago that I replaced that motor. We've only been in the house for 7 years. :eek:

Anyway, problem resolved.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.