Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High Calcium Hardness

1. Back To Top    #1

High Calcium Hardness

The second year of owning a pool and it has by far been perfect for maintaining the water. I have hardly had to use any chemicals other than chlorine pucks and shock when needed.

My Calcium Hardness has been high though. I have pumped out about 1 to 1.5ft of water and replaced it with fresh but the PPM at the time was 550 and only dropped to 500. Currently it is at 650.

In pool school it refers to a reverse osmosis water treatment and the only system like that that I have heard of is the drinking water system which I don't have.

There is no chemical that I can use to lower the number?

PH 7.4
    FC 2
    CC .2
    TA 110
    CH 650
    CYA 30
    18600 Gallon In Ground
    Vinyl liner
    Aqua Genie Skimmer/Return
    Purex Triton Challenger wet end with Emerson 2EZ Speed Two-Speed with Timer Motor 3/4HP #EB2980T
    Sta-Rite 145361 Cristal-Flo II High-Rate Sand Filter 22Inch
    Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High Calcium Hardness

The RO is generally only available in the southwest where water is scarce and calcium hardness is a big issue. There is no chemical solution to high CH.

What is the CH of your fill water?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Good question on the CH of my fill water. I will have to test that when I go home today.

I assume if I had a water softener that would take care of the issue? I have one but I just haven't hooked it up yet from when we moved.
    18600 Gallon In Ground
    Vinyl liner
    Aqua Genie Skimmer/Return
    Purex Triton Challenger wet end with Emerson 2EZ Speed Two-Speed with Timer Motor 3/4HP #EB2980T
    Sta-Rite 145361 Cristal-Flo II High-Rate Sand Filter 22Inch
    Taylor K-2006

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by stew930
    The second year of owning a pool and it has by far been perfect for maintaining the water. I have hardly had to use any chemicals other than chlorine pucks and shock when needed.
    Just a friendly reminder that either of these products could be adding CH to your water. If they are composed of Calcium Hypochlorite they will. Also, your CYA is only 30 right now, but over a period of time, (perhaps a season) you could elevate that number too much. This will happen by using Tri-Chlor or Di-Chlor shocks or pucks. It too can only be lowered by replacing water.

In most cases, a softner cannot keep up with the makeup demand for a pool in addition to what your house uses. Especially with high hardness that I suspect you have.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

Search the forum, there are a number of threads about people living with high CH, 600 to 800.
    Mine is like 550, some minor scaling on tile, pumice it off once or twice per year.
    10000 Gal, IG Pebbletec, pop up cleaners,Hayward EcoStar VS, 425 sq ft Hayward Cartridge, waterfall feature