Fixing hairline crack in gunite pool floor

yogi

Aug 30, 2013
PB when remodeling pool exposed gunite for several months and I just discovered hairline crack in shallow part of the pool across. This PB is gone and I hired another PB who suggested to create new floor from 4" gunite. Will stitching solve the problem instead of 4" gunite new floor?

Welcome to TFP Yogi.

There aren't hardly any builders here that post, but I have seen threads where they repaired some pretty nasty cracks without adding a new floor. If I could avoid that I know I would want too. Sorry I don't have a better answer, but maybe someone else will post with some real life experience or knowledge. It sounds like a really long crack? Maybe that is their reasoning. If anything, I might try to get another opinion if that is possible.

Could we see some pictures?

With pool repairs and renovations it is always a good idea to get three PBs out there, not only for competitive bids but mainly to hear their different evaluations of and approaches to solving the problem.

A new for to repair a crack seem a bit much.

[attachment=2:d0fgeb8q]EnitreCrack.JPG[/attachment:d0fgeb8q]
The crack is below PVC across the shallow floor of the pool

[attachment=1:d0fgeb8q]Crack.JPG[/attachment:d0fgeb8q]
This is just zoom of crack

[attachment=0:d0fgeb8q]HoleExplored.JPG[/attachment:d0fgeb8q]
Here is just 3/4" deep exploration inside gunite.

Pool is 20 x 44 with plaster stripped. This is roughly 25 years old pool that had no cracks till plaster was removed and unfortunately PB was procrastinating finishing the pool for months when house was under construction. Originally the pool was built by cutting green rock hill. The water level is well below. The pool is almost at knoll.

Questions: do you think if epoxy injection will fix the problem? Did you have experience with fixing hairline crack in the pool?

Checking with PBs in our area is difficult because good ones are gone and they who left are very busy, expensive and they are not interested in small projects. This is a land of google and apple, land of hi tech and not land of low tech. I am so frustrated with my construction that sometimes I feel like Yogi Berra "The future ain't what it used to be "

Attachments

• EnitreCrack.JPG
    EnitreCrack.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 188
  • Crack.JPG
    Crack.JPG
    160.9 KB · Views: 176
  • HoleExplored.JPG
    HoleExplored.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 176
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.