Do all IG pools have a skimmer/main drain diverter?

Aug 30, 2013
NOOB here..

Just bought a house with a Plaster IG Pool in So Cal, built in 1979. Pool is approx 30K gallons, one drain in deep end and one skimmer, also has a spa. I just bought a Poolvernguegen 4X suction side sweep, removed the skimmer basket and plugged it into hole in the bottom skimmer. it works okay but wont climb the walls. I went searching for a way to increase the suction to the skimmer and have not had any luck. There is only one hole in the bottom of the skimmer and no diverter.

The manual valves for the equipment are located about 30 feet from my two Whisperflow 1hp pumps. Pump one is dedicated to spa suction/return, neither side goes though a diverter valve. The suction side of Pump 2 goes to a diverter valve that pulls from either a) skimmer, b) spa drain. The return side of pump 2 goes to a diverter valve that feeds either a) pool return jets, b) spa jets.

This is prolly a dumb question.. but do all IG pools have a way to adjust the suction between main drain and the skimmer? The reason I am perplexed is because it's entirely possible that there is another valve somewhere.. my problem is the the two valves I found were located inside a large brick planter box, which believe it or not the previous owner had filled to the top with dirt. The valves were buried about a foot under the soil. Kind of like to be assured that there is a valve in play before I go on a major digging expedition to locate it.
Thanks, Gary

Welcome to TFP!

Normally you'll either have a valve in each line or a 3-way valve to adjust them. Most often very close to the inlet side of the pump.

When connecting to the skimmer, it's best to leave the basket in place and use a skimmer plate to connect the hose. This avoids debris in the plumbing.

Thanks.. I do have a leaf catcher / filter in the sweep line before it goes into the skimmer.

Still wondering if its common or even practical to not have a valve to adjust the suction between the skimmer and drain?

Thanks- Gary

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.