SCORE! I think I got a decent deal . . .

Taterfink

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 14, 2012
NE Florida
I found a Hayward Sand Filter S220T and a Hayward Power-Flo Matrix pump SP1515-Z-1-ESC for $250. I figure I got a pretty good deal since the the filter alone runs for way more than I paid for whole setup.

For transporting the filter I was planning to drain it, remove the sand (if someone could tell me how to go about it without damaging anything). I'd like to clean it out before refilling with new sand. The water in the sight glass is green and I don't want to introduce someone else's algae bloom to my pool.

I need to empty it anyway because I have NO idea how I'd ever load it into my van with 250 # of soppy wet sand in it.

I cannot find much info on the pump. I know it is 1.5 hp which is more than I really need but they came as a pkg deal. I'm trying to figure out if it is 1 or 2 speed. My luck, single speed. Anyone have any clue where I can get info on it. I have the manual but, it is useless on this point.

I took this picture of the pump and was able to decipher some of it. Anyone have any ideas what I've got? I have to post before I can tell if the pic is readable . If not, i'll repost later today.

Okay, I've tried two dif pics. I'll try again after day light. It's bedtime. Zzzzzzzzz. . .

It is a 1.5 hp single speed pump with a service factor of 1. If you click on the photo it takes you to photobucket, then click on the magnifying glass in both pictures and it will bring up a version large enough to read the label. Yes it is a lot more pump than you need, but you will be able to vacuum like nobody's business!

Keep an eye out for a smaller motor and sell this one or keep it for back up. As for the sand, take a shop vac with you and vacuum the sand out of the filter, being very careful of the laterals. You can bag the sand and re-use it or get fresh sand, the choice is yours.

Thank you both for your help.

Zea, dare I ask what a service factor of 1 means?

I had figured it was 1 speed but was hoping for 2. You are right, I can sell it and get a smaller 2 speed and still come out ahead. :-D

The powerful vacuum feature is a plus since my self centered neighbors :roll: won't cut their trees down!

I know. But, until I can find a good deal on a 2 speed, 3/4 or 1 hp pump, this should increase the circulation in my pool. :lol:

The SandPro setup I have does the job but not quite well enough for this large a pool and our weather pattern. It does very well when the weather is good. But the storms we have here in N.E. FL throw too much at it too quickly. We have a torrential downpour most days between June and November. It slows some as summer turns to fall. They don't last long but they dump a LOT of water in my pool.

The filter is small. It holds only 75 lbs of sand and has I think 1.5 sq ft of filtering surface and cannot keep up.

I have toyed with the idea of adding a second return, about half way around the pool because I loose some of the circulation power before the flow reaches my steps. I don't think the sand pro and the intex valves have enough push for that.

I do wonder tho, whether my circulation problem lay with the small filter and the size of the intex hoses and valves. My current pump is 3/4 hp single speed. Would I do better to use this pump with the big filter, increase the size of my hoses and return fittings from the intex 1 1/4" I think it is, to a larger 1 1/2"? Just brainstorming. Would that allow my 3/4 hp to increase my circulation?

I don't particularly like the SandPro setup. The hose from the skimmer connects directly into the clear cover over the strainer basket. It just seems to be a pain to dismantle the thing to clean the basket. I bought the SandPro because it fit the budget last year when I set everything up. I had planned on upgrading as soon as I could work it into the budget.

The corrugated hoses add a good bit of head loss and reduce the flow rate. Just switching out to smooth PVC pipe (or the flex PVC) and a bigger size would likely result in a fair bit of increased flow.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think you did get a good deal.

Definitely, replace the corrugated hoses.

Although that pump is large, it should work relatively fine with that filter. You may find that you only need a couple of hours of on time to keep your pool clean. That filter is still a little small for you pool, but close. It is a 2.64 sq. ft. filter and we would recommend a minimum 3.0 sq. ft. filter for you pool. Still, that filter will work fine and should be much much better than the sandpro.

The motor can be replaced with a 2-speed, but lowest price I could find was ~$174.

I bought this pump: http://www.doheny.com/poolsupplies/Dohe ... tads-plaid^49743322626-sku^2601-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^24923145306

I purchased the 3/4 hp for my Hayward Sand filter, it works great, runs quiet, and was delivered quickly.
[attachment=0:1er0u2hp]pump1.jpg[/attachment:1er0u2hp]

It is a Chinese pump and motor but it has a two year warranty. I have been happy with it so far, they also have 1hp and 1.5 hp pumps as well.

Attachments

• pump1.jpg
    pump1.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 155
unkyjoe said:
I bought this pump: http://www.doheny.com/poolsupplies/Dohe ... tads-plaid^49743322626-sku^2601-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^24923145306

I purchased the 3/4 hp for my Hayward Sand filter, it works great, runs quiet, and was delivered quickly.

It is a Chinese pump and motor but it has a two year warranty. I have been happy with it so far, they also have 1hp and 1.5 hp pumps as well.
That is a "spl" rated pump which means it service factor (SF) is less than 1, meaning it is comparably lower in hp than a 3/4 hp pump with a SF of 1(which would be called a 1 hp uprated pump)...probably more like a 1/2 hp uprated pump.

The price on those Chinese pumps are good, but you need to consider them to be "throwaways" since finding info on them for replacement parts can be difficult/impossible. Just searching for the motor model number came up blank.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.