Stuck Wire in Conduit

Nov 10, 2009
Riverside, Ca. (SoCal)
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I am trying to replace my halogen light bulb system with a Hayward Colorlogic 4.0 ( 120v, 50ft) LED Light. I tried pulling on the wire on both ends and it did not budge and when I was dong it from the recess in the pool, the wire snapped off and now I am unable to pull on it from the pool end. The end that is near the breaker box has a good 6 inches that I can work with but the wire seems like it is clamped down or something. I inserted a fish tape from the breaker box end and was only able to get about 20 feet of it in and it wouldn't go any further. Something was blocking it. I then tried to insert the fish tape through the recess in the pool end and was able to get all 50 ft of the tape but it did not come out on the other end. I am going to try to use a 75 ft fish tape tomm and see if it comes out all the way.

My pool is about 11 years old with a plastic conduit approximately 1 1/4 in in diameter. There is a separate ground wire attached as well. No trees in the area and the light is approximately 40 ft from the breaker box if it was routed with the shortest distance in mind. There appears to be some settling on one of the stamped sections of the concrete and I would say about an inch below the rest of the unsettled slab of concrete but the settled concrete does not seem to be in an area that would effect the conduit but I'm not completely sure. I poured some wire lubricant and still no luck.

Would the the wire from the light be as direct as possible to the breaker box or is there a chance that it was routed in a different fashion where it would be routed and not be as direct as possible for whatever reason? My only option left without doing something drastic is hoping that I will be able to fit the new wire in the conduit with the existing one in there as well. The only problem is that the light I have is only 50 ft long so if its longer than that I am going to have to exchange for a longer one. I apologize if my post does not make sense. Thanks for any help provided.

Normally, There should be a deck box near the pool light above water level. The pool light wire runs to the deck box and the wire from the breaker runs to the deck box. In it they are wire nutted together.

That separate ground wire may be what is holding up the show. Typically i remove both light wire and bonding wire together and have good luck. However i usually pull out through the niche (recess in the pool) You may be able to still pull from recess. Disconnect bond from box end and pull bond from recess, light wire may follow. Also running water down conduit helps sometimes but warning: water and elec don't mix right?

Still not able yo get the existing wire out but I was able to get a fish tape through. Even though the light when measured point to point is only 35 feet from the j-box it's 63 feet in length when I was finally able to get a fish tape through. Looks like I'm going to have to exchange the Colorlogic 50 footer I have for a 100 footer. My only fear now is that I won't be able to squeeze in the new line with the existing one that is stuck if it doesn't come out.

The ground wire is screwed in on the jbox end but on the other end it looks like its been sealed with some sort of waterproof barrier around it so i cant see how it is connected on the watter end. There is water in the conduit from what I saw. The j-box is about one foot from the ground and when I look down through it, I can see water about a foot and half below ground level, not sure if that's normal or not. I have flushed some silicone lube down the conduit and I've been giving it a couple days before I try to yank out again. My last resort is to just try to make the new cable fit in with the existing one it it. Well see.

Also use some wire lube. Both while trying to pull the old line and for sure while pulling the new one.

I replaced my spa light and it was tight as heck coming out. Once the wire lube made it through to the end of the conduit, it pulled like butter. Both coming out and going in. I helped disperse the wire lube along through the conduit by adding some water.

3m makes a good product as well as many others.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AO ... UTF8&psc=1

Leave the potting alone in the niche. If you upset the seal, you will have to drain pool down to make new seal. (just) Unscrew the wire at the j-box end, and pull (bonding) wire out from the niche end. Even though you can get a fish through with the bonding wire in, i doubt you will be able to pull new light cord with bond wire in place, so just pull it out, Hook both light cord and bonding to the fish (staggered) and pull them both.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.