I Want to Replace My Pool Pump and Motor

twowhlrcr

Gold Supporter
Sep 1, 2011
Goodyear, AZ
Hey Guys, my pool pump and motor are getting old and have also developed quite a leak. I'm guessing I can get something more efficient to help on the electric bill also. Below are some pics of what I have now and also the filter for the pool. Just looking to see what you guys would recommend for a direct replacement, something that wouldn't require any major modifications. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• DSC_0540 em.JPG
    DSC_0540 em.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC_0541 em.JPG
    DSC_0541 em.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC_0542 em.JPG
    DSC_0542 em.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 51
The general guideline on replacing a pump is to get one with the same or greater Service Factor Horsepower (SFHP) rating. I can see from the faceplate that the HP rating is 1.5 HP. The Service Factor should also be on that label somewhere and is usually shown as something like 1, 1.1, 1.5, etc. The rated HP * Service Factor = SFHP...example: 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP.

More often than not, however, pool pumps tend to be oversized for the pool that they are installed in. Do you have any water features such as fountains or waterfalls? Do you use a pressure-side cleaner (g.g., Polaris) and, if so, is there a separate booster pump for that? These are some of the factors that determine the proper pump size.

As for 2-speed versus variable-speed, the general cost-benefit guideline is that a 2-speed is the preferred choice if your electric bill rate per kWh is $0.20 or less. Otherwise, a variable-speed is the better choice. There are other factors as well such as the number of water features and how much control you want to have on those. If you have lots of water features, a variable-speed will give you more control. With pump manufacturers coming out with new models all the time, I would suggest looking at this article: A Pump Game Changer

If you would, please provide some information about your pool and related equipment in your signature. By doing this, it will automatically appear in all your posts so you do not have to re-enter it each time. If you have a SWG, please include those letters in your signature so it stands out as the advice for SWG vs. non-SWG is often different (although probably not a factor in choosing a pump).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.