Need help with vacuum and skimmer for AGP

angela

Aug 8, 2007
Surrey England
I have an agp 18'x12' and am on my 2nd season. I gave up on the little pump that originally came with my pool and this year I am the proud owner of a sandfilter/pump and a heat exchanger. The heat works brilliantly. I dont see too much happening in the water with the pump though (1/3 hp). I tried to hoover the dust from bottom of pool but the 1 1/4" hoses that I use outside the pool do not attach to the inside of the pool as the connections are exactly the same size. I though I would be able to just push the hose onto the pipe. I did hold it flush to the connection and the suction worked fine but I cannot move much in this manner. Can someone please tell me what I need to buy to connect my hose to the inside of my pool. And would this be the way I connect a floating skimmer too. I'd appreciate any help offered.

"Waste" seems to be the resident pool guru when it comes to equipment. If someone who "knows" is not along shortly to advise, send him a pm with this thread and ask him if he has any advice that he can respond here?

Sorry I can't help!

My vac hose has a fitting thing on the end that goes through the skimmer opening of the pool & sticks into the hole in the bottom of the skimmer.

I just realized you have a smaller pool that came with a small pump. What type skimmer do you have?

bassadict69 and frustratedpoolmum
Thank you frustratedpoolmum, I will use that contact if I cant solve.
Bassadict69 my pool didnt come with a skimmer. I have looked on the internet and think I know what to get to put a vacuum and skimmer together and am planning to go to pool shop this morning.

Angela, welcome to TFP! I'm thinking that you are 'across the pond' - nice to add the international touch to the site :) As you think you may have found the parts to convert to a skimmer and vac, I'll only say that all the specialty adapters I'm familiar with are 1 1/2" and a bushing (or reducer) would need to be used on anything I might suggest (I know there used to be 'retro-skimmers' that would work off a wall suction - but I haven't seen one of them in over 20 years - I hope you were able to find one!) If you've any questions once you receive the equipment, don't hesitate to ask!

Again, welcome to the site and we'll be here for you when you have a question :wave:

Waste were the skimmers similar to this?
floating_surface_skimmer.jpg

Here's the link to the product(I hope I'm not breaking any rules).
http://www.intexstore.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=594&CategoryID=109

HTH,
Adam

That looks to be very similar to the old ones (of course the old ones were steel piping :shock: ) The way these work is to have a hopper and a floating ring, just below the surface, to 'skim' the surface and a basket to catch the 'stuff' from the surface.

With only one suction source, a modification to the setup may be necessary to keep the vacuum head from just sticking to the floor, but we can deal with that when the issue arises :thumleft:

Launboy, thanks for the link!! I think it may help MANY folks with similar pools in the future 8)

With only one suction source, a modification to the setup may be necessary to keep the vacuum head from just sticking to the floor, but we can deal with that when the issue arises

It's very easy. My auto pool cleaner came with a valve that adjusts to allow a variable amount of suction, but there was still too much suction at the setting that allowed the least amount of suction. So I went to the pool store, looked at their wall of vacuum cleaner replacement parts, found another valve, then put the two valves in series. Presto! I have a valve set up that allows me to have the correct amount of suction to my cleaner. So you just need to find a pool store that carries cleaner replacement parts and look for a variable valve (the one that goes in the water, not one for outside. It will be PVC, probably white or tan.) The valve I got from the pool store is a hayward, btw. My auto pool cleaner is a baracuda.

angela said:
I have an agp 18'x12' and am on my 2nd season. I gave up on the little pump that originally came with my pool and this year I am the proud owner of a sandfilter/pump and a heat exchanger. The heat works brilliantly. I dont see too much happening in the water with the pump though (1/3 hp). I tried to hoover the dust from bottom of pool but the 1 1/4" hoses that I use outside the pool do not attach to the inside of the pool as the connections are exactly the same size. I though I would be able to just push the hose onto the pipe. I did hold it flush to the connection and the suction worked fine but I cannot move much in this manner. Can someone please tell me what I need to buy to connect my hose to the inside of my pool. And would this be the way I connect a floating skimmer too. I'd appreciate any help offered.

Sounds like you have either two male ends or two female ends. If you have two female ends, you need a connector piece with two male ends, or if you have two male ends, you need a connector piece with two female ends. You can probably find those in home depot (in PVC fittings) or with vaccuum replacement parts in your pool store.

OK thank you everyone. I found a hose and vacuum head but I have a very odd connection on the inside of the pool - completely different to the outside connection. I dont think they ever meant me to hook anything up to it. No thread on either end (hose either). Found a black rubber connector in B&Q. Its about2 1/2" long and is big enough one end to fit snuggly over the connection on the inside of my pool. The other end is smaller and fits snuggly over the hose. The suction of the return keeps the whole thing together. Works Brilliantly. Used all my spare money up now so I will chase up the skimmer later in the year - the ones suggested looks great.

Thanks everyone.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.