Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leak in SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

Leak in SWG

I have a leak where the clear plastic housing for the electrolytic cell and the clear inflow tube section join. There is no crack - its where the two insert together- it appears to be glued and doesn't want to readily come apart.

What should I use to repair

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Leak in SWG

Welcome to TFP.

Without at least know which brand it is we really can't give any advice. Brand, model and a picture of it would be nice.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

<sigh>

Its an intex 8110.... No I don't have a picture. But if you look at the pic in THIS post...

intex-swg-leaking-t66256.html

It would be a little to the right of where his arrows where two pieces come together, one inserting into the other and apparently glued... there is about a 1" loss of bonding.

Perhaps the more accurate/better question(s) is

a) Is it better to glue or seal with something like RTF or a caulking substance?
    b) If glue is the better approach, what to use on clear plastic... ?

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm not sure how that seal is made, but if it's a crack I'd try some epoxy. That's a polycarbonate housing so there's not much that will stick to it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

The hose side is flanged and it fits into a sleeve... It appears to be glued i.e., is cloudy, where the two faces join. but it seems like they could be forced apart to service the titanium(?) electrode.

Since this appears to be a baseline model of SWG that was a freebie, I guess I'll nurse it along as long as I can...

A co-worker suggested the same- there's a two part he recommended but said it might be brittle; I'll give it a shot and report back.