Need Help/Opinions on Spa Spillway

May 22, 2013
Austin, TX
I'm struggling with something and need some honest opinions. The position of the spillway is not what I originally envisioned. It's going to be a 'scupper' type spillway. I originally expected it to be centered which would make it slightly offset when looking at it from the house/patio. However, they offset the spillway so that it's 'square' with the house/patio. I told him I wanted it centered and he convinced me it would look better from the house like this. I'm not sold though. So what are your honest opinions? I'm afraid the way its offset that it looks unbalanced/unsymmetrical. But the argument is that the waterfall will be nicer from this angle and we will be looking at an angled waterfall if we center the spillway.

I may ask the PB if he can cut the spillway in the center and do a gunite repair on the area that will need to be built back up.

View from the back porch
i-S2VK3H3-L.jpg

View from right side (tanning ledge/entry)
i-dfqv2fT-L.jpg

View from left side/deep side. This might be the best angle to show the offset. More lounging/patio area will be here
i-gJB9WXm-L.jpg

Pool Build here:
and-away-we-go-new-build-austin-tx-pics-t68574.html

Edited to add photos

Thanks to both of you. I agree its personal opinion too, but I'm definitely interested in everyone's opinion to see if there is a consensus. I'm going to talk to my PB about it tomorrow. I'm not expecting that to be a fun discussion. ;)

I like it the way it is, but honestly I prefer having 3 smaller decents than one big one, to me that looks Great.

Between centered and facing the house I would typically say centered, but after looking at your pictures I think it looks really good facing the house.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My vote is centered on the pool. Here's the honesty you asked for...When I see it my brain thinks, looks good from here but it's not centered and it probably looks odd from over there. Walk over there, yep. Fairly easy fix though if you are inclined to change it.

Thanks very much for everyones opinions and comments! My PB and I had a quick exchange about it and will talk work it out this coming week, but I'm pretty sure we'll be moving it. Does anyone have pics handy of a 2 or 3 sheer descent? I know I've seen some but its hard to find them when searching.

I agree with the ideas to change the descent type or width. Either put in more than one, or widen the whole thing. That way, you will see the face of the waterfall from the house while still having a centered effect from the pool's perspective.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.