Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need Help/Opinions on Spa Spillway

1. Back To Top    #1

Need Help/Opinions on Spa Spillway

I'm struggling with something and need some honest opinions. The position of the spillway is not what I originally envisioned. It's going to be a 'scupper' type spillway. I originally expected it to be centered which would make it slightly offset when looking at it from the house/patio. However, they offset the spillway so that it's 'square' with the house/patio. I told him I wanted it centered and he convinced me it would look better from the house like this. I'm not sold though. So what are your honest opinions? I'm afraid the way its offset that it looks unbalanced/unsymmetrical. But the argument is that the waterfall will be nicer from this angle and we will be looking at an angled waterfall if we center the spillway.

I may ask the PB if he can cut the spillway in the center and do a gunite repair on the area that will need to be built back up.

View from the back porch

View from right side (tanning ledge/entry)

View from left side/deep side. This might be the best angle to show the offset. More lounging/patio area will be here

Pool Build here:
    and-away-we-go-new-build-austin-tx-pics-t68574.html

Edited to add photos
    34x17 Freeform Gunite IGP and spa (approx 17k gal)
    Hayward 2HP/2SP TriStar Filter Pump & Tristar Booster
    ProLogic PS-8 and AquaPod
    400k Heater
    CLI Sunstone Quartz Plaster

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need Help/Opinions on Spa Spillway

I'm afraid to say my honest opinion is that I would agree with you and would center it.

It's your pool and you're paying for it therefore I'd say go with what you want.
    38'x24' freeform IG gunite, 26k gallons, 3.5' - 7'
    8t Moss rock waterfall with gunite slide
    SWCG, 2 x 2.7hp Hayward Tristar pumps, booster pump, 425 sqft cartridge, 400,000 BTU heater, Polaris Black Max 280, ProLogic PS8 & Aquapod

3. Back To Top    #3

I like it as is....sorry.
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by toofast
    I like it as is....sorry.
    It's all personal preference. I don't think there's a right or wrong answer on decisions like this. I think you just have to go with what you want as its you that's going to be looking at it every day, not someone else.
    SWCG, 2 x 2.7hp Hayward Tristar pumps, booster pump, 425 sqft cartridge, 400,000 BTU heater, Polaris Black Max 280, ProLogic PS8 & Aquapod

5. Back To Top    #5

I agree...all personal opinion. I thought he was asking so I gave my opinion.
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks to both of you. I agree its personal opinion too, but I'm definitely interested in everyone's opinion to see if there is a consensus. I'm going to talk to my PB about it tomorrow. I'm not expecting that to be a fun discussion.
    400k Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

I like the way it is. If your looking for popular opinion maybe you should start a poll.
    *Under Construction* 21K gallon IG Pool/Spa 3'-7', Wet Edge Pebble Prism Matrix
    -Equipment: Jandy 460sqft Cartridge Filter; Aqua pure 1400 SWG; Jandy 2HP VS E-pump; 3/4HP Booster Pump; Polaris 3900; Air Blower; Jandy PDA4; Raypak 406 Heater; Auto Fill; 2 Hayward LEDs in pool; 1 Hayward LED in Spa; 2 Skimmers; 3 Returns to pool; 6 jets in Spa ***TF100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir***

8. Back To Top    #8

I would want it centered on the pool. Have a feeling this is going to be split.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by toofast
    I agree...all personal opinion. I thought he was asking so I gave my opinion.
    I'm not knocking your opinion at all, it's just as valid as mine. I hope it didn't come across that way.

I agree with Jason - I think it may well end up being split.

10. Back To Top    #10

I like it the way it is, but honestly I prefer having 3 smaller decents than one big one, to me that looks Great.

Between centered and facing the house I would typically say centered, but after looking at your pictures I think it looks really good facing the house.
    24X44 IG Vinyl Custom Shaped Pool, Starite S7M400 Cartridge Filter, Starite Sumpermax VS Pump, built July 2015, TF-100 Test Kit, Pentair Intellichlor IC40 SWG, NG Starite SR400 Heater, Easytouch with Screen Logic, Magicstream Laminars, Bullfrog A7 Spa

11. Back To Top    #11

I guess you can see the waterfall from the patio better where it is now. But, it's all in what you want.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

My vote is centered on the pool. Here's the honesty you asked for...When I see it my brain thinks, looks good from here but it's not centered and it probably looks odd from over there. Walk over there, yep. Fairly easy fix though if you are inclined to change it.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

13. Back To Top    #13

It is personal preference but my OCD husband and I vote centered on the pool. I also like the idea of three openings vs one too.

14. Back To Top    #14

Thanks very much for everyones opinions and comments! My PB and I had a quick exchange about it and will talk work it out this coming week, but I'm pretty sure we'll be moving it. Does anyone have pics handy of a 2 or 3 sheer descent? I know I've seen some but its hard to find them when searching.
    400k Heater

15. Back To Top    #15

Here you go, this is the route I was going if I decided to go Gunite. I think I am going liner, but......

24X44 IG Vinyl Custom Shaped Pool, Starite S7M400 Cartridge Filter, Starite Sumpermax VS Pump, built July 2015, TF-100 Test Kit, Pentair Intellichlor IC40 SWG, NG Starite SR400 Heater, Easytouch with Screen Logic, Magicstream Laminars, Bullfrog A7 Spa

16. Back To Top    #16

Here is another idea I also Love, one HUGE Descent

17. Back To Top    #17

I agree with the ideas to change the descent type or width. Either put in more than one, or widen the whole thing. That way, you will see the face of the waterfall from the house while still having a centered effect from the pool's perspective.
    Outdoor 14,000 gallon IG plaster pool built in 2000 with spillover spa, 2 hp WhisperFlo pump with MagneTek motor, Sta-Rite cartridge pool filter with 300 ft2 filtration area and 0.33 gpm/ft2 filtration rate, Aquabot Rapids 4WD robotic pool cleaner, Raypak digital gas heater, and Intermatic mechanical timer located in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex

18. Back To Top    #18

I rather like it centered from the deck, but I can totally see where it might drive you crazy if you're standing anywhere else in the yard..... Sorry that's unhelpful.

PS totally forgot I've been reading through old posts and this is from last year.

19. Back To Top    #19

I was thinking you should just expand it more - then saw carnut12's photos! I'd make it bigger that way you can see it from any angle and it would look fabulous from all directions. It's only money!
    Finally Done! - 21x34 IG, SWCG, depth - 3.6 - 4.6 - 6.6, Pentair IntelliFlow 3050 vs+svrs, 60 sq ft Pentair DE Filter, 400k BTU Heater, Polaris 280 w/.75 hp booster pump, Pentair EasyTouch wireless, 38 sq ft raised spa, wet edge Barbados quartz finish - ODK w/36 in Napoleon grill