Do I need to replumb?

ZSK

May 29, 2012
Just replaced my Single speed pump with a 2-speed this week, the new pump is working great but on the low speed I'm not getting enough flow for my IntelliChlor IC-40. I think it might be an issue with my plumbing, at the IC-40 and at the pump. As you can see with the photos I have a 90 degree elbow right before the IC-40 and I think on the low speed of the pump it's not enough flow, plus it's running through the heating before that from the filter. I'm wondering if I re-plumbed just before the inlet of the IC-40 a straight piece of pipe 12 inches or more if that would help. Not sure what to do with the plumbing before the inlet of my pump but I don't like double 90 degree elbows at all. Any ideas? Or am I stuck to not being able to use the low speed of my pump with IC-40?

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG-20130829-01023.jpg
    IMG-20130829-01023.jpg
    390.1 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG-20130829-01022.jpg
    IMG-20130829-01022.jpg
    345.6 KB · Views: 151
A single 90 or two isn't going to make much of a difference. It is the entire plumbing that makes the difference.

What is the full speed filter pressure?

Can you step back and get a full pad equipment picture?

What pump did you have before?

Is all your plumbing 1 1/2"?

First off thank you for the help. I only replaced the motor not the wet end of the pump, new motor matches the HP of my old pump and works fine running on high. The plumbing looks to be 2" above ground and 2" at the returns (not sure if it's 2 inch under the ground). First return is about 10 feet from the pad, the other return is around 35-40 feet.

New motor is a Pentair 356630S

356630S
1-1/2 HP Motor SQFL, 2 Speed, 1 phase, 60 Hz

Did you check the filter pressure on high as Mark asked?

It's kind of an optical illusion but I think the red handled valve on the pump duscharge that's turned off isn't connected to anything?

Looks like your heater is the biggest issue. How often do you use it?

Sorry forgot about the filter pressure between 15-20 PSI new gauge on high, 3-5 PSI on low. We don't use the heater much, would it help to bypass it when not using it? The valve that is off is for vacuum to waste, don't have the waste hose hooked up right now.

What do you mean the pressure is 15-20psi? The needle should not be jumping around.

If it is clean at 15psi, you should be cleaning it between 18-19psi (a 20-25% rise over the clean pressure).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I estimate that the pump is producing about 72 GPM on high speed and 36 GPM on low speed which is well above the minimum.

But a few follow up questions that could make a difference.

You have two suction lines, how long is each line?

How high is the pump relative to the water level?

There might be an issue with the IC internal flow switch.

The pump is only 1-2 feet above the water level. I'm not at home right now but I would guess each suction line is around 30 feet long, the drain is a dual drain and might be more like 35 feet to the bottom of the pool. I've never used a 2-speed pump before but how much pressure should I expect to see on low? I only see around 3 PSI on my filter pressure gauge. I also don't feel much pressure coming out of the returns but I'm guessing that is normal with the pump on low.

3 PSI is fairly typical on low speed and not a concern and yes, the return pressure/flow rate is low too. But 35 GPM should be enough to run the IC which makes me think it is a problem with the cell. Have you inspected the cell to make sure there is nothing caught in it?

I pulled the cell out last night and checked the flow sensor and the plates, everything seems fine. I will double check again tonight, I haven't had any problems with the cell on high speed so I think it's the elbow in the piping just before the cell that's causing the issue. I'm wondering if I increase the surface area of the flow sensor it that will help will the low flow issue. The flow sensor on the IC-40 is just a simple magnet on a flapper that pulls at a reed switch (during flow) to complete the circuit.

This is not my IC-40, just an example of what the switch looks like.

Attachments

• flowswitch.jpg
    flowswitch.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 87
The elbow before the cell is not really that close so it shouldn't have a big impact. You might try force a hose stream up the switch hole since you really can't see if there is anything in there. Does the flapper move back and forth without any restriction?

But if that fails, you could glue a larger disk on the switch so it moves more with flow rate. It probably doesn't need much.

Just wanted to say Thank you to everybody for the help and feedback.

I pulled out my IC-40 to look at the sensor again and noticed mine had less surface area than the photo I posted above. Mine has half the surface area under the round grey magnet that you see in the photo (it's not as long). So I used some water epoxy to attach a longer piece of metal flapper to switch. So far it seems to work great and the IC-40 still shuts off when it detects no flow (I shut off the filter valve). I'm hoping the water epoxy will stand up to the pressure it's designed for this sort of thing so it should.

It doesn't look pretty but seems to work great on low speed now. Thanks again!

Attachments

• IMG-20130830-01029.jpg
    IMG-20130830-01029.jpg
    374.3 KB · Views: 63
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.