How long to run pump while pool cover closed?

Jun 10, 2013
We are pool newbies. Our IG pool was completed about a month ago. We have a Coverstar auto cover on our pool. We have been keeping closed most all of the time for a few reasons - 1) safety. we have a toddler. 2) leaves / crepe myrtle droppings 3) when our low temps dropped last week our pool water dropped to 86 when we had it uncovered for several days. I prefer the water to be around 90, so we can swim at night without a chill!

My question -- how long should we be running the pump while we have the pool covered? And what about the Polaris while closed? I have noticed that keeping the pool cover closed keeps out the bulk of the debris, but when it is closed I find even more roly-poly bugs, and other debris on the steps. It is like the water isn't circulating because of the pool is covered. We have been running the pump on low speed from 8:30-6:30, with 4 hours in the middle there where it goes higher while the Polaris works. After I uncover the pool, I need about 30 minutes for the skimmers to get the debris off the top, and I need to brush the steps so the roly-poly bugs fall down. Is the way we have been doing it inefficient??

DFW, TX
17'x32.5' IG Pool,
Tanning Ledge 5'x17'x6"D
Depth at Steps - 3.5 feet
Depth at Center - 5 feet
Depth at End - 4 feet
one set of steps (off Tanning Ledge)
Approx Gallons 17,531
2.0 HP Jandy E-Pump
1 Jandy Pool LED
Polaris 3900 w Pump Pool Cleaner
Fusion-Chlorine
2 skimmers
2 bubblers 2 deck jets

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

There is no set time to run the pump but you have to run it enough to keep your pool clean. 8-10 hours daily (more if you are using low speed) is a good starting point.

Your pool needs to breathe. I would suggest keeping the auto-cover open for at least a few hours each day.

I live in the DFW area of Texas. Yes, I believe we will leave it closed in the fall, winter, spring. We have lots of trees around us, and some of the neighbor's trees don't lose leaves until December. (We do not have a heater). How often should we open it up in the non-swimming season to test it, and scoop out the debris?

When the pool cover is closed there is a 1/2" gap where the cover meets the coping. That's where I think some debris, & bugs make their way in. Unfortunately, that gap is right over our tanning ledge. Even with the pump on, while covered, it just doesn't seem like the water moves well. When the pool is uncovered, I see little debris sitting on the steps. Because we are in swimming season, we are uncovering every day and removing the debris. But in the off-season, I'm wondering if it will accumulate and stain the quartz plaster.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.