Horizon/Infinity edge pool problem

Aug 29, 2013
After completion, our horizon pool was great, except for the fact that when water was pumped out of the trough there was not enough volume to bring the pool water level up to start the overflow!!!!!!
The pool contractor "solved" this problem by adding a 800 gal or so tank under and next to the trough, this seemed to solve the problem, but on many occasions I had to prime the pump to get the water pumping. I made this easier by tapping into the suction line and adding a valve to the backyard water supply. Now after a few years this "priming" is becoming more and more frequent. I believe the pump is probably due for replacement. Since the equipment is 50ft from the pool and the tank is buried some 8 ft below ground, what pump should I purchase for replacement? This pump only runs the water from the trough and tank, the pool circulation is done by another pump.

Thanks

Here's my thoughts.

When the pump shuts off does the basket fill with air?

You don't need a new pump. You need to find out where the suction side air leak is and fix it. Once you do that the pump will stay primed.

Can you post a drawing or picture of the installation?

That drawing is ok. It tells me what I thought was correct.

It sounds like it has always leaked a little. If that's the case you may be looking at a plumbing leak. The first thing to do is check and reseal all the common places. The pump strainer lid o-ring is a good place to start. Clean and lube it well. The pump drain plug is also a good place. Remove and reseal them. Then you can start running water over the valves and fittings to see if the air stops or lessens going into the basket.

I've done the pump lid o ring, the drain and water checked all the fittings above ground by the pump. The next step is the trough/tank valve, it's under a deck so a little work is involved....it's funny, I can turn on the pump and the water valve to fill the line, it pumps for a second or two, blows A big bubble, then nothing for a few minutes and repeats the burp! Sometimes it will pump after the water is shut off, sometimes not.....
Next stop, valve under the deck!
Is it possible that the pump just doesn't have enough suck to pull the water up 8 ft anymore?

There could be parts inside the wet end that are worn, but that's not your problem here. The air getting into the pump suction is the problem. Even if it was worn, it wouldn't allow air into the system. Find that leak and I'll bet it works better than it ever has.

When the pump is running, how full is the surge tank?
How full is it when it's stopped?

OK, I flooded the area around the split valve under the deck, we got pumping! It's running now but it sounds more like a coffee grinder! So now I have to pull up some deck and replace or repair the valve, but I am concerned about the pump sound.....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, I replaced the valve that I thought was leaking...
Primed and all ran fine for 20 minutes......then pump started cavitating. Sucked, then pumped again. Ran 3 minutes and did the same. Sounded like water level in the tank was low, but checked and is 1/2 full!
I know you said air leak, but before I begin digging up my yard any other ideas?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.