I do not currently have a heater for my pool, though there is a space for one. There used to be one, but the previous owners removed it for whatever reason. The plumbing was bypassed so that we could get the pool up and running. (see pics below)
We will be getting a heater soon, and being a geeky type, I want to know everything about pool heaters - brand independent education if possible. A few specific questions I have are:
- 1. Does Low NOx mean it is a high-efficiency heater?
2. Is ASME just an industry certification letting you know it is higher quality? I have noticed that the ASME versions seem to all have external copper fittings.
3. I saw one particular model that specified that you can set the pool and spa to separate temps. Is this a common feature?
4. What should I know if I don't yet know enough to know what questions I should be asking? (does that even make sense?)
5. Is there a good document on TFP (or elsewhere) that explains the technical aspects of heaters?
I am also wondering about opinions on the best brands. I have had several "pool folks" tell me that Raypak is the best. One even told me that is the only brand he will install. Hayward and Pentair seem to be the most popular.
So, feed my brain, please!