hand held vacuum has too much suction

Aug 29, 2013
Hi- I have a 45k ig pool with no main drain. Vinyl liner 9 years old, Hayward sand filter (big-no idea what size) and a 2.5hp 2 speed pump. I have been trying to vacuum for a few days-the vacuum will be fine for a few minutes and then the suction is so strong I need to turn off the pump to release the head. I have backwashed, rinsed, cleaned pump basket, even tried running it on recirculation- nothing keeps it from doing this. We replaced the sand this spring, and have only had to vacuum twice before- with no problems. I have maintained this pool for 20+ summers- never had this problem. Help!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Sorry to state what may be obvious, but have you tried vacuuming on low speed?

Or maybe the vacuum head brushes are worn out and allowing the suction to get too close and stuck to the liner.

Thanks for the quick reply. Much appreciated, but I checked all that out as well. We even put an adapter to regulate the pressure, and though it worked better, it still got stuck. My husband thought I was embellishing the story-til it happened to him. So- just one of those mysteries, I guess.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.