First test results...CH really high!

TFP rookie here but eager to learn. A little background - we spent the month of July trying to gain control of algae (green tint to water but a white -yellow slime on liner and ladder). Pool store drama and $250 later i have made more progress in four days pulling my chlorine pucks and dumping 10 gallons of bleach to put a dent in the problem until I could get a test kit. TF 100 kit arrived today and pulled my first set of results:

PH 7.5
FC 24
CC 0
TA 170
CH 680
CYA 60
Right now i have pulled the ladder to deep clean it; water is still cloudy (CH??). I can barely see the brush at the bottom. CYA/FC levels are consistent with chart. Any advice and adjustments are realty appreciated.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Given that the pH test reads artificially high when the FC > 10ppm, your pH is likely not high enough for the cloudiness to be due to the calcium. Sure your CH is getting up there, but some members maintain their pools with 4 digit CH numbers ... this is done by keeping the pH and TA on the low side.

For now, just keep following the SLAM Process.

If you are not seeing clarity improvement, then you could try a little DE in the filter: pool-school/add_de_to_a_sand_filter

When was the last time you inspected and cleaned your sand?
my-sand-is-channeled-how-to-fix-it-t7626.html#p60821

Are you still finishing the SLAM process, or is it just suddenly cloudy after having clear water for a long time? If you still have slime on the ladder and such, it sounds like you are not done with the SLAM process. Water will remain cloudy until SLAM process is complete.

High CH and high TA can allow any pH fluctuation to make the pool cloudy. But it appears even with the high FC that your pH is OK.

Glad to have found ya'll!! The water has never been clear so I figured it might be calcium; good to know its "ok" for now. We have not changed the sand in the filter since installation, and have some if necessary. Because I couldn't accurately measure my FC fluctuation until today, should I just refine my SLAM process and get a range of results before changing out the sand?

It is not uncommon for folks to keep the chlorine high during a SLAM but forget to do the filtration parts of the SLAM.

Run your pump 24/7. backwash the filter as necessary, brush and vacuum often as time allows. Those things will go a long way to getting the cloudiness out of your water.

Keep your chlorine constantly at 24 ppm, follow the steps above and I think you will see daily improvement....even if it's slow.

I doubt your sand has channeled and you certainly will not need to change the sand. What is your clean psi right after backwash?

Our clean psi is 19 and it has not changed with the daily vacuuming and back washing we have already done. Our challenge is that we are on a well and balancing water levels to the necessary cleaning requirements. Not an impossible task but getting things cleared up will take a little longer. Reviewed the channeling links; with the psi maintaining I will hold off on that for now. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.