Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is this brown comet looking stuff?

1. Back To Top    #1

What is this brown comet looking stuff?

Hi everyone!

I'm new pool owner since may of this year.

When we bought the house, the pool was already running and after reading on this site and some other literature I had no problem keeping it running for the whole summer (never had any algae problems btw).
    Now the problem: I have attached three photos where you can see brown color thing that looks like washed out sediment or something on the bottom of the pool (white plaster). I spotted it a couple of days ago but was busy to address it immediately. So today I got very surprised when I could't remove it with 8" aluminum algae brush.
    Please help me to identify what it is and how to get rid of it .

Helpful info: 1. The pool is surrounded by trees, shrubs and all kinds of flora so there is always leaves and tree debris getting into the pool.
    2. Test results with Taylor FAS-DPD : FC: 4.5 ppm, CC: 0 ppm, pH: 7.6, TA: 90 ppm, CH: 200 ppm, CYA: 50 ppm.

Thank you very much.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What is this brown comet looking stuff?

Welcome to tfp, ssddforever

I am not positively sure, but to me that looks like small pieces of metal got into the pool and the "trail" is towards the deeper end. I would try some vitamin C tablets put in an old sock and set on one of the stains to see if it lightens.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!!!

My thoughts exactly. Anyone spread some fertilizer nearby?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

To linen: thank you for the advice - I'll try that as soon as I get vitamin c tablets - btw does the size of tablets matter? Also, to keep sock in place would putting brick on top of it work?
    to jblizzle: I was clearing English ivy around the pool last week and some of soil got into the pool when I was fighting with roots. And now that you asked I think that is when I spotted the stains for the first time.

Is there any chemical stuff like kaboom for bathtubs which would clean it right away? (i'll do my research - thought to ask just in case there is a quick way)

5. Back To Top    #5

If it is metal stains, the vitamin c will do it right away. Ideally, you could take a tablet and just rub it in each streak briefly. It should only take a few minutes.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you, I'll get tablets tomorrow and see what happens.

7. Back To Top    #7

I would guess fertilizer also.. rust stains.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100