Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward 2030 filter clamp

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward 2030 filter clamp

The Hayward operator's manual suggest a 130lb torque on the clamp nut. I have the clamp tight but no where near 130lb torque. No leaking but should I keep tightening clamp? Brand new filter.
    Marbelite 13K gal pool in Rain Forest St. Croix USVI (opened 08/04/13)
    Hayward 2030 cartr filter (225sqft) Hayward skimmers
    Lorenz Solar powered pump 4 Ecogreen PV panels 245W ea w A/C back up Polaris 360 cleaner w separate filter
    Location is 17deg 47' N Water Temp 82-86deg Ambient temp 75-90deg Rain Fall 60-90"/yr Altitude 615Ft ASL Sun Solar Exposure 11:34 to 12:25hrs/day

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward 2030 filter clamp

That's in/lbs not ft/lbs. 130 in/lbs is about 11 ft/lbs.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Not sure if it is similar to the DE clamps, but I alternate using a rubber mallet to lightly seat the band all around and then tighten the bolt/nut ... ends up requiring very little torque because the band is better seated with the mallet.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I am going to try the mallet idea. I have a Harbor Freight ratcheting wrench I had dedicated to the filter clamp on my filter. I don't measure how much force it is, I clamp it tight enough to make it not leak. If it leaks, I turn off the pump and make the band tighter.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

Both my Hayward DE filters had a spring on the mechanism that you tighten. Manual says to tighten just till the spring coils touch.
    17x37 IG vinyl, Grecian style, 20k gal, Hayward DE4800, Hayward Super Pump II 1 hp, Rainbow 320 Chlorinator, 6 Vortex 4x10 solar panels, Aquabot Turbo, Dolphin M5, loop-loc mesh cover

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by mpnret
    Both my Hayward DE filters had a spring on the mechanism that you tighten. Manual says to tighten just till the spring coils touch.
    And if you alternate tapping with a mallet, you can get them touching with VERY little force. If you do not tap and seat the band ... it takes a LOT of force to get the band tight and the springs to touch and this is when people snap the bolts.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Never had an issue going on 30 years now. I just use the palm of my hand to tap and seat the band a bit. Then just turn the nut to the coils on the spring touch like the owner's manual says.
    17x37 IG vinyl, Grecian style, 20k gal, Hayward DE4800, Hayward Super Pump II 1 hp, Rainbow 320 Chlorinator, 6 Vortex 4x10 solar panels, Aquabot Turbo, Dolphin M5, loop-loc mesh cover