PH not registering on test kit

Aug 29, 2013
Have a cheap test kit (plan to get a better one) but it has always "worked" in the past. Now when I add solution #2 to test the ph the water does not change colors. Bought a new bottle of #2, no change. I took a sample to my pool store and the ph was 8.0 so added acid, my test kit showed no reading (clear water), tested again at the pool store was 7.2 so added baking soda. My test kit shows no reading (clear water). I can't keep going to the pool store and not buy anything!

Pool is pretty cloudy but looks good other than that. Any ideas on why I am not gettting a reading on my PH?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I do not know what Solution #2 is. Taylor uses R-0004 or R-0014 for testing pH.

How are you storing the kit?

I would just order up one of the Recommended Test Kits and know that you have the best on the market (the TF-100 is better).

And if the pool is cloudy, like you need to go through the SLAM Process which basically requires the FAS-DPD chlorine test.

I store the test kit outside in a plastic box (have done this for years). Solution #2 is phenol red, I add 5 drops to test the ph per the kits instructions (remeber this has always worked before). Pool test results from pool store:

TC 2.0
FC 2.0
CC 0
PH 7.0 (I added 2 lbs baking soda after this reading)
Base demand 5
TA 120
Calcium 360
Stabilizer 100
Total Dissolved Solids 1100

15,000 gallon inground guinite pool

Likely it is ruined from being stored outside in the heat ... how old is the kit?

Just order a new one and KNOW what is going on in your water and do NOT think the results you get from the pool store are worth more than you paid for them.

BTW, baking soda does not raise pH ... you just made your TA higher and it was already higher than recommended. Time to read Pool School (button at the upper right of the page).

AND, IF (big if) that CYA level is correct, you need to replace a lot of water to get into the recommended 30-50ppm range which will make maintenance much easier. What are you using for chlorine?

Read these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Solution was brand new, kit (the plastic vial?) is a few years old but it is just the plastic.

Chlorine, use 3" tablets in a feeder from the pump. Shocked the pool with bleach recently though.

And the pucks are why your CYA is too high. They are also very acidic and can drive the pH and TA down.

Forgot you bought a new bottle ... no idea why it is not working.

Sounds like the solution might be bad. Since you are a puck user, and if you intend to continue to use them (please read the links jbliz posted...especially the one about how to chlorinate), you most likely will constantly need to raise your ph. We recommend borax or washing soda for that. And be aware that pool store testing is not very consistent, especially when it come to cya. If I had any money, I would bet that your cya is higher than 100...and that will continue to cause you problems.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No I have not tested the tap water but good idea. As far as adding five drops of red.to two ounces of water, I cant tell you why it isn't changing color but it is not (to be fair it might change it a little but no where near anything on the color block and closer to clear than any other color)

dhoglund said:
No I have not tested the tap water but good idea. As far as adding five drops of red.to two ounces of water, I cant tell you why it isn't changing color but it is not (to be fair it might change it a little but no where near anything on the color block and closer to clear than any other color)
I want to jump in and clarify this before the crazy idea that your pool is a vat of acid comes up (which would have been my crazy idea). You are putting drops of a red liquid in to the test block, and they are turning clear as soon as they touch the water, correct?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.