Hayward Tri-Star 2 speed pump leaking

gmmastertech1

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 28, 2013
Southern Ohio
Just wanted to post a FYI on this. I have a brand new TriStar 1 1/2hp 2 speed pump that developed a leak between the motor and the pump after 2 days. Figured for sure it was the pump seal. I contacted Hayward and told them the problem. They agreed that it was the pump seal. I asked if they could overnight me the seal since I had to keep the pump off to keep from rusting the bearings and there are no warranty Hayward centers in my area. I had the seal in the mail the very next day. So, last night when I got home, I disassembled the motor and sure enough the seal had torn in two between the spring. Hats off to Hayward for their prompt attention. I understand that they were obligated since it is under warranty, but I am happy that they shipped it quickly and the pump was only down for 24 hours. Just an FYI for any others that may experience this.

Here a couple of pics of the seal. Not sure if it was an assembly error or what. The seal is supposed to be solid from one end of the spring to the other. This one tore in two possibly when it was slid over the shaft.
[attachment=1:1ch1z5qp]pump seal 1.jpeg[/attachment:1ch1z5qp][attachment=0:1ch1z5qp]pump seal 2.jpeg[/attachment:1ch1z5qp]

Attachments

• pump seal 1.jpeg
    pump seal 1.jpeg
    105.5 KB · Views: 17
  • pump seal 2.jpeg
    pump seal 2.jpeg
    120.4 KB · Views: 16
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.