Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward Tri-Star 2 speed pump leaking

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward Tri-Star 2 speed pump leaking

Just wanted to post a FYI on this. I have a brand new TriStar 1 1/2hp 2 speed pump that developed a leak between the motor and the pump after 2 days. Figured for sure it was the pump seal. I contacted Hayward and told them the problem. They agreed that it was the pump seal. I asked if they could overnight me the seal since I had to keep the pump off to keep from rusting the bearings and there are no warranty Hayward centers in my area. I had the seal in the mail the very next day. So, last night when I got home, I disassembled the motor and sure enough the seal had torn in two between the spring. Hats off to Hayward for their prompt attention. I understand that they were obligated since it is under warranty, but I am happy that they shipped it quickly and the pump was only down for 24 hours. Just an FYI for any others that may experience this.
    18x36 Lagoon vinyl IG DIY sport bottom 3.5-5-3.5 18K gal. Hayward Tri-Star 1 1/2 HP 2 Speed, Hayward 27" 350lb. sand filter, Hayward Aquarite w/ T-15, 1 skimmer, 2 returns, 2 step jets, 4 deck jets, 1 waterfall, TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward Tri-Star 2 speed pump leaking

Thanks for posting this. We typically only hear the bad experiences, so it's good to hear about the good ones once in a while. We need more like this.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Hayward Tri-Star 2 speed pump leaking

Here a couple of pics of the seal. Not sure if it was an assembly error or what. The seal is supposed to be solid from one end of the spring to the other. This one tore in two possibly when it was slid over the shaft.
    [attachment=1:1ch1z5qp]pump seal 1.jpeg[/attachment:1ch1z5qp][attachment=0:1ch1z5qp]pump seal 2.jpeg[/attachment:1ch1z5qp]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    18x36 Lagoon vinyl IG DIY sport bottom 3.5-5-3.5 18K gal. Hayward Tri-Star 1 1/2 HP 2 Speed, Hayward 27" 350lb. sand filter, Hayward Aquarite w/ T-15, 1 skimmer, 2 returns, 2 step jets, 4 deck jets, 1 waterfall, TF-100