One hose is clear, the other is green

richierich

Bronze Supporter
Jul 12, 2013
Long Island, NY
Hi All -

I have an odd question. I have a 15 foot intex metal frame pool with a salt water generator (which I love by the way). The pool is just about crystal clear. No algae, no cloudiness at all. However the hose that sucks the water into the SWG is crystal clear but the hose that takes the water from the SWG is always green. What does this mean? Do I need to clean the cell?

The last test I did on the water a few days ago at the local pool place was:

PH 7.6
FC 1.6
Stabilizer 30

richierich said:
Stabilizer 30
This is likely not the cause of the green hose, but an observation...For a SWG pool, the stabilizer level (a.k.a., CYA) should be at least 60 ppm and ideally 70-80 ppm. However, since this is a pool store test, it could be way off. My experience with pool store testing is that the CYA test is the one with the biggest variance. I have taken a few samples in for testing (just for grins) and their result is always twice what mine is. Here are more examples of Inconsistency in readings from pool store testing. I would strongly suggest that you look into one of the Recommended Test Kits and take control of your pool water testing.

Also, check out the Chlorine CYA Chart for the proper chlorine level for your CYA (note the SWG chart).

One thing to remember:

While your pool may be listed as a "toy" pool by many sellers, it is still a pool. As such, it does need proper care to avoid transfer of pathogens from one swimmer to another, and avoid algae etc.

Forget the pool stores. They are normally in business to sell you "miracle" cures, and in order to do that, they care not if the testing is accurate or not, as long as it keeps you coming back for more "miracles".

Your best bet is to follow the recommendations you find here, for a clean safe swimming environment/experience.

Many have been in the position you are in, and have found the advice here to be top-notch.

Don't think of the test kit as an expense, think of it as an investment in you and your family's safety. Once you have the kit in hand and learn to trust it, you will be glad you made that investment, along with the knowledge that you control your pool, not a pool store.

Happy swimming!

Try cleaning it with 10 parts water and 1 part plain household bleach. Agitate the mixture in the tube for about 10 minutes, and see what falls out.

The white vinegar as in the manual is a weak acid wash, and if the green coloration is as I suspect algae, that won't clean it very well. Chlorine will kill it.

Order the test kit (TF-100 or K-2006), and while you are waiting for it to arrive in a couple of days, click on the pool school link at the top right of this page, and read through it a few times.

I would guess it is copper, if it is only on the return side.

Have you unplugged your copper bars on the intex swg? No reason to add copper to your water, as you can see it stains pool surfaces and also can turn blond hair green. Are you seeing any discoloration in the water or on the pool walls?

linen said:
I would guess it is copper, if it is only on the return side.

Have you unplugged your copper bars on the intex swg? No reason to add copper to your water, as you can see it stains pool surfaces and also can turn blond hair green. Are you seeing any discoloration in the water or on the pool walls?

I haven't really seen any discoloration of anything. This may be a dumb question, but you can unplug the copper bar? Should I try that? I should leave alone the 3 very thin silver plates right?

linen said:
Leave the "silver" plates connected, those are used to create the chlorine from the saltwater by electrolysis. Just unplug the wire from the two copper bars

what do the copper bars do in the chlorine making process? Can I just unscrew the cap that has the bars attached to it and put one of the "drain caps" on instead? Should I do this permanently?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.