skimmer basket out for several days hearing rattling noise

Aug 28, 2013
Hi, newbie pool owner here and need your help, please. I'm trying to figure out the rattling noise I'm hearing that sounds like it's coming from the main pipe that goes from the skimmer to the pump. I accidentally left out the skimmer basket after vacuuming the pool a week ago and didn't notice until I started hearing the rattling noise last night. When I look at the pump strainer, the water appears to be flowing as normal but it's just the rattling noise that's new. Did I break/ruin my pool filter? Any suggestions how I can isolate the problem and fix it myself? Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Re: skimmer basket out for several days hearing rattling noi

Is the noise coming before the pump basket or after? Pump basket is to catch junk that got through skimmer basket.

Could be one seriously PO'd bullfrog! :rant:

Sounds like something got sucked into the line with the skimmer basket out and you need to backflush. They make a bladder type device that attaches to a water hose that you can use at the pipe's entrance to the pump basket. I don't recall what its called at the moment but any hardware store should be able to get you sorted.

You are better off to leave the basket in place when you vacuum. Use a skimmer plate to connect the hose.

If everything is working, I'd try letting the pump lose prime and reprime a few times to see if something will come on through the line.

Thanks, Jeetyet. I'll go to the hardware store to get that pool attachment.

@JohnT: how do I go about letting the pump lose prime? Sorry it's going above my head.

Also, is it ok to let my pump keep running with that noise? Will it do any damage if I still let the pump run it's normal daily schedule?

Thanks guys.

newbiepoolowner said:
Thanks, Jeetyet. I'll go to the hardware store to get that pool attachment.

@JohnT: how do I go about letting the pump lose prime? Sorry it's going above my head.

Also, is it ok to let my pump keep running with that noise? Will it do any damage if I still let the pump run it's normal daily schedule?

Thanks guys.

Shut the pump off and take the strainer lid off. Water will drain out of the lines. Put the lid back on and turn the pump on and the water will surge back and may drag something through with it.

Hard to tell what you have in there, so it's hard to advise whether you can keep running. I'd maybe rather be home while it's running until you know whether it can seal off the pipe, but it may be nothing to worry about.

Bama Rambler said:
What type pool do you have?

Sounds like something got into the plumbing and stuck in the first bend and is rattling around in there.

It sounds like it. We have an inground pool that came with the house we purchased. We had a pool guy before but since he relocated a year ago we've been trying to do it on our own. Any help for this newbie would be aappreciated.

Shut the pump off and take the strainer lid off. Water will drain out of the lines. Put the lid back on and turn the pump on and the water will surge back and may drag something through with it.

Hard to tell what you have in there, so it's hard to advise whether you can keep running. I'd maybe rather be home while it's running until you know whether it can seal off the pipe, but it may be nothing to worry about.

Thanks! I'll give that a try.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I'd try sticking a water hose in the suction port of the pump and forcing water backward through the skimmer. Be sure to close any valves to other skimmers or main drains so all the water gets forced through that one if you have more than one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.