Ph testing with high FC

tman2

Aug 26, 2013
West Chester, PA
Longtime lurker... Just got my TF-100...

My understanding is that the ph test become inaccurate at about 10 ppm FC.

After some practice with the CYA test it looks like I'm at 60 (thanks to the PS suggesting I add CYA... Lesson learned...).

Anyway with a target of 9 PPM FC, it seems I'm on the cusp.

I'm wondering what people who have very high CYA (target FC > 10) do to test ph?

And what Are the symptoms?

I'm at 12 FC now, and the ph test looks to be about 7.4.

Thanks in advance!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

The pH will read artificially high when the FC > 10ppm.

For a CYA of 60ppm, your target is 7ppm with a minimum of 5ppm. So you have nothing to worry about as your FC should not really need to be above 10ppm.

That is the problem with trying to keep the CYA too high, FC is too high and there is no way to test the pH accurately.

Thanks Jason,

The history of the pool is kind of unknown and somewhat sordid... It's a "foreclosure pool"...

I have a lot more work to do (plumbing, stains, etc). So I'll,be posting more.

So far so good, though. Only one "algae incident" this season (broken strap on an old hayward stainless DE filter -- part no,longer available --so had to buy new filter).

Now that I have the right test kit I should be a lot better off.

Luckily I got some decent advice from my dad early on: "don't d*** around with any of the bs chemicals from the pool store. Chlorinate, and keep your basic levels in check and you'll be fine."

Not too far off from the TFP principles.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.