Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ph testing with high FC

1. Back To Top    #1

Ph testing with high FC

Longtime lurker... Just got my TF-100...

My understanding is that the ph test become inaccurate at about 10 ppm FC.

After some practice with the CYA test it looks like I'm at 60 (thanks to the PS suggesting I add CYA... Lesson learned...).

Anyway with a target of 9 PPM FC, it seems I'm on the cusp.

I'm wondering what people who have very high CYA (target FC > 10) do to test ph?

And what Are the symptoms?

I'm at 12 FC now, and the ph test looks to be about 7.4.

Thanks in advance!
    20k Gal. (Best guess) IG Plaster/Gunite circa 1987 ~ Hayward Pro-Grid 48 sq. ft. DE ~ Hayward 1HP SuperPump ~ Polaris 360

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ph testing with high FC

Welcome to TFP!!!

The pH will read artificially high when the FC > 10ppm.

For a CYA of 60ppm, your target is 7ppm with a minimum of 5ppm. So you have nothing to worry about as your FC should not really need to be above 10ppm.

That is the problem with trying to keep the CYA too high, FC is too high and there is no way to test the pH accurately.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Jason,

The history of the pool is kind of unknown and somewhat sordid... It's a "foreclosure pool"...

I have a lot more work to do (plumbing, stains, etc). So I'll,be posting more.

So far so good, though. Only one "algae incident" this season (broken strap on an old hayward stainless DE filter -- part no,longer available --so had to buy new filter).

Now that I have the right test kit I should be a lot better off.

Luckily I got some decent advice from my dad early on: "don't d*** around with any of the bs chemicals from the pool store. Chlorinate, and keep your basic levels in check and you'll be fine."

Not too far off from the TFP principles.
    20k Gal. (Best guess) IG Plaster/Gunite circa 1987 ~ Hayward Pro-Grid 48 sq. ft. DE ~ Hayward 1HP SuperPump ~ Polaris 360

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by tman2
    "Chlorinate, and keep your basic levels in check and you'll be fine."
    Good (and very effective) words to live by in managing a pool.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.