A couple of questions about Intex pools

Aug 9, 2013
Dallas, TX
I have an Intex metal frame pool (just the metal poles and bars around the top, sides and bottom are vinyl), and I'm wondering about a couple of things as the end of the season approaches:

1. Does anyone know of a good way to clean the Intex Type A filters to cut down on the number of replacements to buy? I know they're pretty inexpensive, but was just wondering if there's a way to extend the life of existing filters to avoid buying more so close to the end of the season.

2. Has anyone ever kept one of these pools standing over the winter? I've always dismantled it and put it away in storage at the end of the season, but have always been curious if there's a good way to leave it up without the danger of damage due to freezing temperatures.

Thanks!

I just hosed them off in the yard. It was messy and although I got a lot of the loose debris off, I never thought they really got clean. They didn't get my water clean either. I was running my filter 24/7 and the water was still cloudy. Over the winter I bought an Intex 2650 sand filter when it went on sale at Amazon.com. Best pool decision I ever made. My sand filter runs 4-6 hours per day and requires minimal maintenance. I think I've only backwashed the sand three times this season. My water has been crystal clear all summer. I've also gone full BBB method this summer which helped a lot.

I take my pool down. Lots of people leave them up but I don't want to take any chances with winter weather.

+1 on the 2650 sandfilter pump. amazon.com has it for $156.00 shipped to your door. best $$$ i have spent so far on my pool and no dang paper filters!

im south of Oklahoma City, so I basically get the same mild winter that you do in Dallas. might have a little ice and snow but our southern winters are pale in comparison to the ones up north. i plan on leaving mine up (this is my first year). if you drain it down below the lowest inlet fitting, unhook and put away pump and hoses, and get a good winter cover, (toss that POS cover that came with your pool, it is absolutely worthless) you should have no issues overwintering your pool. my father in law has the 26x52 intex and it has been up for 4 years straight. other than a slightly dented frame rail where a tree fell on it this past spring, it looks great.

lots of people overwinter their intex pools with no problems.

I use the 'A' paper filters. I use a hose with spray nozzle and get them pretty clean. I use 2 sets, swap out right away, then hose the dirty ones before they dry out, then put them away. I swap out every 2-3 days. My pool stays pretty clear with the paper filters. But then, I'm running 2 pumps. I wanted better circulation and filtering, and I added a thru-wall skimmer.

I have not yet left an Intex pool up over the winter (Niagara Falls, Canada). Winters here are a bit colder than down there. So I am hesitant about this year being my first. I'm still reading opinions on TFP to make my descision.

DigbyAllen: Sorry to hear that you have cloudy water with the paper filters. I have yet to have that issue. When I fought algae a couple weeks back, these filters pulled out all the old dead algae for me and got sparkling clean. But during that time I swapped/cleaned every few hours.

Cheers.

Another +1 on the 2650 intex sand filter. I went 1-1/2 summers convincing myself the Intex cartridge filter system was adequate. My only regret is that I didn't switch sooner. Water quality is better and maintenance is way more convienient. I'd certainly consider buying one at these end of year prices for next year, about a month into next season you'll be wondering why you didn't switch sooner.

I found a guy on Ebay who sells a fabric filter. It reminds me of the material used for car covers. I have 3. I keep one in the pump, one ready and one in a bucket with water and the old chlorine pucks I no longer use in the pool. I replace them every 2 weeks. I think if you were to find out the microns of filtration it would be far less then the intex filters. But if they are a little dirty they work better. They are a plastic mesh basket covered in fabric. They gather at the top and the bottom basket with a zip tie. When I ordered them this year I mentioned to the guy that it would be better if they were elastic instead of zip ties and he sent me the elastic and another filter. I figured if you could take them off the basket you could run them through the wash. I have yet to do this but at the end of the season I will throw them in with some whites. Because of the fact that Intex pumps are cheap I always feared my filter would clog and I would burn up my pump. But these are forgiving and if I forget to change them they still allow water to pass.

I run two Intex filters in parallel. I have been using the same two filters for 2 years now. I just spray them off with the hose once a week. I have had crystal clear water this whole summer. I would rather have a larger filter but money is tight.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.