Hayward Max Flo VS or Pentair VS Variable Speed Pump

Aug 28, 2013
Marin County
I just bought a house in May that included a pool and have been handling it by myself. I have been doing ok as far as chemical levels. Chlorine level fine, but the PH has been on the high side. Been adding acid to bring it down.

The big issue is my Electric bill, it is double what I use to pay without a pool. I have narrowed down the problem to the single speed pump. It is sucking a lot of Watts, and I even run it in the evening during the cheaper times. I had done a lot of research and settled on the Pentair VS pump. I was then in my local pool store and ran into a Hayward rep, and he was steering me toward the Hayward Max Flo VS. He explained to me that because of my pool size the Pentair was overkill and the Max Flo VS would be less pump at a cheaper price and still save me the same amount of money as the Pentair. I can find lots of comments about the Pentair VS, but not much on the Max Flo VS. Does anyone have either of these, or can give me a good comparison.

Thanks!!!

14,000 gallons; plaster; 19x32 Rectangle shape, Depth 3Ft-5Ft. Built 1993.
Sta-Rite MAX-GLAS II 1.5 HP; Cartridge filter, Pentair Legend Pool cleaner.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

The smaller Hayward VS pumps are pretty new, but they have some good specs. They are meant to be replacement units for people looking to upgrade, like yourself, but with smaller pools/pipes that do not need the massive 3HP that the Intelliflo has.

There are some limitations as the Max-flo is not as programmable as the larger VS pumps. I think you can only set 3 speeds and you can not set timers to switch back and forth. When the pump turns on it runs at one of the speed for a set amount of time, then kicks down to a different set speed for a set amount of time. The biggest limitation is if you have Automation, since the speed of the Max-flo (or SuperPump) can NOT be controlled by the automation.

The advantages are, they are cheaper and still will give you electrical savings by being able to set your speeds.

What are your electrical rates? If you power is not very expensive and if you are not getting rebates on the VS pumps, often just replacing you motor with a 2-speed motor and running on low most of the time will give you significant electrical savings. And the little bit more power you save with a VS may take many years to justify the extra cost.

So, the cheapest option up front would be to keep your pump (assuming in good shape) and just replacing it with a 2-speed motor and have a manual switch to allow you to pick the speed.

Thnx for the reply. My pump runs at 2.43 KW at .74 cents a hour. I did the savings calculater with the Rep from Hayward as well as the one on the Pentair website, and both show me saving between $90-100 a bill, and I do get a $100 rebate from PG&E for purchasing either of the pumps. Also, when I had my pool inspected, the inspector said that the current pump was overkill and I could get away with a 3/4 HP.

So your power is 30 cents / kW-hr? That is pretty high and likely would make the VS worth it. If you have not intention of automation, I would get the Max-flo.

And do not believe the cost savings that the manufactures spew in their calculators. They are not setup to compare apples-to-apples.

You certainly could get by with a 3/4HP motor ... and a 2-speed at that. It would save a good chunk of the electricity, for a lower up-front cost.

With the VS, you will pay more upfront, but "should" save more in electricity in a few years to offset that extra cost by running at even lower speeds.

So closer to 22cents.

Sure you can run it on low 24/7, but likely you would not need to for any reason. The BEST way to save money on electricity is to not run the pump ;)

FYI, on low of a 2-speed pump, the pump moves 1/2 the water as on high, but uses 1/4 the electricity. So if you ran on low for double the amount of time as on high, you would move the same amount of water, but with a 50% electricity savings. Said another way, Running on low for 24 hours would be the same amount of power as running on high for 6 hours, but on low you would have moved double the water, which is not likely needed.

Read this:
pool-school/pump_run_time

So i pay 5cents per KW for enery charge totaling to no more than 10cents per KW with taxes and fees.

I am upgrading my de filter do i want to change my old single speed pump. I am currently running a 3/4 hp motor for my pool filtration (spa jets use a different pump). The maxfloVS (1.5hp) is selling at leslies for $820 + tax. I am wondering if it is even worth buying a vs pump since I dont pay high electricity rates. I run a pool timer if that helps.

Ext,

You might want to double check, but I believe that your Pentair Solar Touch Controller is designed to control the Pentair 3 HP Intelliflo. Based upon that fact alone, I believe it would make sense to upgrade to the Intelliflo.

Don't let the 3 HP rating scare you. That is MAX HP, not what you will be using 99% of the time. The Solar Touch commutates with the Intelliflo via a serial cable, so you can adjust the speed to fit whatever the situation call for.

At 1,200 RPM it uses only 175 Watts. I run it 24/7 for less than $20 per month.

You said "... ran into a Hayward rep, and he was steering me toward the Hayward Max Flo VS..." So, you were thinking he was being nice, I'm thinking he was doing his job and try to sell you a Hayward product. :D

Thanks,

Jim R.

- - - Updated - - -

Ext,

The other thing you should think about doing is ditching that pressure side cleaner with booster pump. Buying a vs pump will not reduce your electrical bill if you have to run it and the booster just to clean your pool.

You can move closer to being in this century, technology wise, by moving up to a Robotic cleaner..

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.