Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School

Thread: Winter covers, pros and cons

Winter covers, pros and cons

Planning ahead.

I need a new winter cover this year. I have always used the "solid" type black tarp type covers, with water bags around the perimeter. Now that safety covers have come down in price, I'm contemplating them.

What's your preferred type? Is there any advantage to keeping water out of your pool like the tarp type do, or do you prefer the constant drainage type of the mesh safety covers?

Appreciate your thoughts and comments

Re: Winter covers, pros and cons

There are solid safety covers now, and also solid safety covers with mesh panels so you don't need to pump them off. I have a mesh safety cover, and I'm happy with it. No way anybody's going in the pool unless they want to.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

Cheap ones?

My main concern with the mesh pools was the introduction of untreated water into sanitized and winterized water. I guess it's not a concern as long as you open the pool before the water hit's 60*?

You're pretty much correct that closing late and opening early makes a HUGE difference in the amount of cleaning the pool will need with the old mesh covers. However, a couple of years ago we started installing what's called the 'sunblock' weave mesh covers and they honestly open about as clean as a solid cover. They weigh ~ 10- 15 lbs more than the older mesh covers of the same size but that's still about 1/2 of what a solid safety cover weighs BTW, all the solid safety covers I've dealt with have 'micro-mesh' panels in the center to allow water to drain while still keeping out all but the finest debris.

Happy shopping for the cover - when it comes time to use it, juswt ask and I'll tewll you a few things that will make your life easier 8)
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

Thanks

I am also debating which type of cover to buy...my solid cover lasted 2 years and seemed to always have excess, gross water on the top which I siphoned off! I am seriously considering the mesh cover.

Waste, you had suggestions on how to use/install the mesh cover to make life easier. Could you please elaborate and share your thoughts. Thanks!
    Lisa

My Pool: 24` round AG with surrounding deck, 13,500 gallons
    1 HP Hayward Pump, Sand Filter, BBB user and promoter :)

Yes, I would like to know also. I cannot for the life of me decide which type of cover to order. The mesh is sounding good but then I really need to order a leaf net also, right? Water temp today is 62, I would like to close it up soon being that I can't use it anyway.
    27' 17,000 gal. above ground.
    Pentair Meteor sand filter-22", uses 150lb of sand.
    Pentair Dynamo 1.5 hp pump
    new water cycler that uses prefilled pacs of chlorine
    ~BBB method

Hi guys and welcome!!

I've recently added another link to my sig for closing time - in my post there I give tips for putting the cover on, but not how to install one. I'm gonna go and spend ~ 1 hour composing a basic installation 'How To' for safety covers which I will then link in this post as an edit (gotta do something on a rainy day when I can't be out closing pools )

EDIT - I lied I started writing it and found myself less than 100% sure about what I was saying to do (it's been 10 months since I've installed one) so I want to wait until I do one this year, so I know my memory isn't wrong. (If any of you need help before I install one this year, just ask and I'll tell you from memory how to do it
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)