Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie with cyanuric acid sky high

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie with cyanuric acid sky high

Hello! I am new. My cya level is extremely high.

cya=173 Confirmed by pool store and cya strip test. (Pool store uses ClearCare Expert and strips to compare, I don't know if that matter or not.) I know they can be inaccurate, but I really do think it is pretty high. We have gone through two boxes of granular shock from Sam's Club this year with fighting algae, without realizing what that adds. We also put a bunch of pucks in our floater and one in the basket, on top of already having a cya=90. So I think that along with using some granular shock really skyrocketed our cya level.

So, my main question is, if I drain the pool below the basket level and add new water in for a few nights, do you think we can get the cya level lowered? What have you found? We do not have a pump to pump water lower than below the basket level. So, I figure if we do that a few nights, while circulating fresh water in, that we can eventually get the cya level lower? (I am wondering how long this may take, removing and adding, if you have experience.)

Last question, should we stop adding bleach if our FC=14.39 with the cya level what it is? I know the FC should be higher to reach shock level, but with cya so out of hand, it seems like a lost cause to even bother with FC right now. Correct? Once we get the cya level at 50, I plan to slam the pool. I have been adding a jug of bleach a night just to keep the algae some what under control.

I will be buying the full tf100 test next year, too close to the end of season here. I do have the FAS-DPD being shipped. Thanks for any and all help!!
    Amanda
    30' Round 18,585 gal AG Vinyl 2012 Ohio
    cartridge filter, Century 1.5 hp 2-speed pump, Liquidator 8 Gallon with 3/8" Upgrade, Taylor k-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie with cyanuric acid sky high

Welcome to TFP!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bjb4ohio
    cya=173 Confirmed by pool store and cya strip test.
    Well, "confirmed" is probably not the right word since neither are a trusted source for CYA testing accuracy. What test kit did you buy? Just the FAS-DPD test and not a full kit? You need to confirm the CYA ... you could get the HTH 6-way from walmart for the rest of this season. You should have just ordered the TF-100 now.

Replacing water is a % thing. Replace 10%, lower the CYA by 10%. It is going to take MANY 4-6" drains to get your CYA lowered as much as required. You can rent submersible pumps from Home Depot or even buy a cheap one from Harbor Freight that will allow you to do a larger drain which will use less water ... but you need to know the correct CYA level first.

Maintaining at least some FC in the water will help prevent too much algae from taking hold and make the SLAM process quicker. Or you could save the bleach for now and just use it for the SLAMing.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

You could siphon off pool water using a garden hose or two. It would take longer and it isn't for the squeamish, but you wouldn't have to purchase a submersible pump.
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

4. Back To Top    #4

Ah, good point. Missed it was an AB pool, so siphoning with a garden hose or even a larger pool hose is a free option.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I also used a test strip from Meijer that also showed very high cya levels.

I will try the hose and bucket some out too. Thanks for all of the advice!
    Amanda
    30' Round 18,585 gal AG Vinyl 2012 Ohio
    cartridge filter, Century 1.5 hp 2-speed pump, Liquidator 8 Gallon with 3/8" Upgrade, Taylor k-2006