DFW Pool Quote

Aug 26, 2013
Hi all, I’m new to the forum and would like some feedback on this pool quote. Meeting with the builder one more time before pulling the trigger and would like to make modifications if necessary.
I am going to talk with them about increasing the plumping size to 2.5”.
Any feedback would be appreciated

Pool: Free form
Perimeter: 118sf
Area: 791sf
Width: 30ft
Length: 40ft
Depth: 3.5-8ft
Tanning ledge: 1
Benches: 2
Steps: 1
Approx Gals: 32,629

Spa:
Perimeter: 28ft
Area: 59sf
Approx. Gals: 982
Raised Above Pool: 18”
Stone veneer
Spillway: Standard

Equipment:
Pool:
Filter Pump: 2.0HP Jandy E-Pump
Booster Pump: Jandy 120GPM Feature Pump
Cleaner Pump: PB4-60
Filter:580SqFt Jandy Cartridge Filter(VP)
Controller: iAqualink PS8 w/ 4 Relays
Sanitizer: Fusion-Salt Kit
Acutators:1 Valve Motor
Light – 2 Jandy Pool LED 100’
Light – 1 Jandy Spa LED 100’
Pool Cleaner – Polaris 3900w/Pump (black)
Spa
Heater – Zodica Propane LRZ 400K BTU
Blower – 1 ½ HP Polaris Metal Blower

Excavation:
Dig Type – Bobcat dig w/ bobcat shuttle
Concrete Removal – 169Sf

Steel:
Steel schedule: #3Rebar 10” ocew w/alternates with alternates in stress areas
Beam 12” Box Beam with 4 continuous ½” rebar
Deck dowels : Included

Plumbing:
Skimmer Run: 30ft
Skimmers: 2 2” independent lines to equipment
Returns: 5 2” main supply line
Main Drains: 6
Waterstop return fittings: 13
Cleaner line: 1 1 ½” dedicated line
Overflow: 1
Fill line: 1 tied to sprinklers
Autofill until installed: 1
Spa Jets: 6

Electrical:
Electrical Run: 30ft
Lights: 3ea

Gunite:
Pneumatically Applied Concrete: 3000PSI/6 Sack Mix

Tile and Coping
Oklahoma Flagstone: 118lf
6” Waterline tile: 101lf
Spa Coping : Oklahoma Flagstone 28lf
Spillway: standard

Water Features
24” Weeping Wall : 17feet

Decking:
2 Color Rock Texture: 1106 SF All deck reinforced with #3 rebar 16” on center
Drainage: Included all necessary drains and downspout hookups
Mastic: color matched and sanded joint sealer

Plaster:
Northside Quartz

Clean Up:
Trash removal and final grade
1 load of top soil
Fence removal and reinstall

Fire pit
5’x12” round wood burning

Included:
Sprinkler reroute
Rock sealing and acid washing

Other:
Lifetime transferable structural warranty
Rock charge not included

Price:
$65k

Welcome to tfp, aggie_bh :wave:

Assuming that "Fusion-Salt Kit" is a swg combined with Nature2 minerals, I would consider scraping that and just go with a straight swg. You do not want metals the mineral systems add to your pool water.

What size plumbing for the spa?

You may want to use the google search of this site (near upper right of page) and look into the stone use with swg.

I'll only comment on the price at the moment becase it is so surprising to me how much more pool you can get in DFW for the money. I can say with certainty that is easily a 90K pool in Midland/Odessa. I see these a lot, and can only conclude that is the sheer amount of competition there.

jamcha02 said:
Just curious, who is the builder? The quote seems really low for everything you are getting.

jamcha02. I'll pm you the builders name. They came highly recommended from a few coworkers.

All the low price comments are making me a little worried I'm missing something here.

aggie_bh said:
Main Drains: 6
Is this right?

linen said:
Assuming that "Fusion-Salt Kit" is a swg combined with Nature2 minerals, I would consider scraping that and just go with a straight swg.
^ What he said.

aggie_bh said:
All the low price comments are making me a little worried I'm missing something here.
Seems to be in line with the quotes we got a few years ago when we were considering a pool build at our former house. The pool we were considering was a little smaller, included a spa, but no other water features or SWG.

I have to make my usual comment on plumbing...Make sure that no plumbing is run under the pool except for the main drain(s). Some builders use what they call the "direct method" and will run any, and perhaps all, plumbing under the pool if that is the most direct (shortest) path. I would put a stip in the contract disallowing this. I would also take pics during the build so you will have some general idea where all the buried plumbing/equipment is in case you ever need to get at it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Welcome to the forum. I'm a newbie too.

First of all, I agree with those who think that this is a really good price. You can see my run down here new-pool-build-lewisville-tx-help-gunite-cracks-t61141.html. It appears to me that you are getting about as much pool as me plus a weeping wall, fire pit and LED lighting. Now I've got 17 piers so maybe that reconciles the price. I didn't do an exhaustive search but the other PBs in my bid process were $12K to $18K higher than the PB I selected. So I don't know that you are getting a price so low that you should worry but I do think you are getting a good price.

Check out as many references as you can especially if there's any way to source them yourselves. That's how I got comfortable that my PB was giving me value not a cheap pool. He's built 60 pools in our development and many of them are for friends of mine. So I was able to talk to people he didn't refer me to.

Regarding the OK flagstone, there's a lot of discussion on this board and as many opinions as you could want. There's a company in DFW, Southern Wind, that feels so strongly that salt and flagstone are fine that they will warranty it. (They were also the most expensive builder I talked to). Our builder believe that if you have good stone it isn't much of an issue. Check out this thread for more details on my PBs view on flagstone. post553319.html#p553319

Good luck and, please, give us lots of pics.

I'm in DFW with a pool build currently underway, and I'll echo other comments: that's a very good price for the size and features of your pool (but not ridiculously low or anything...I wouldn't worry too much about that).

MiaOKC said:
Can you ask your PB if he will come to OKC? :)

Sorry Mia, he has to come to Midland first and in a hurry...before I sign a contract! :lol:

OP- Don't worry the price is too low. It doesn't seem the case for DFW, so if he is reputable, go for it. Keep us posted and updated with lots of pics when you build please!

I will second the comments by Otis. I am starting a build with Southernwind next week. Lifetime warranty on all stonework against flaking or degrading with salt. They are definitely more expensive but construction quality is top notch.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.