Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DFW Pool Quote

1. Back To Top    #1

DFW Pool Quote

Hi all, Im new to the forum and would like some feedback on this pool quote. Meeting with the builder one more time before pulling the trigger and would like to make modifications if necessary.
    I am going to talk with them about increasing the plumping size to 2.5.
    Any feedback would be appreciated

Pool: Free form
    Perimeter: 118sf
    Area: 791sf
    Width: 30ft
    Length: 40ft
    Depth: 3.5-8ft
    Tanning ledge: 1
    Benches: 2
    Steps: 1
    Approx Gals: 32,629

Spa:
    Perimeter: 28ft
    Area: 59sf
    Approx. Gals: 982
    Raised Above Pool: 18
    Stone veneer
    Spillway: Standard

Equipment:
    Pool:
    Filter Pump: 2.0HP Jandy E-Pump
    Booster Pump: Jandy 120GPM Feature Pump
    Cleaner Pump: PB4-60
    Filter:580SqFt Jandy Cartridge Filter(VP)
    Controller: iAqualink PS8 w/ 4 Relays
    Sanitizer: Fusion-Salt Kit
    Acutators:1 Valve Motor
    Light 2 Jandy Pool LED 100
    Light 1 Jandy Spa LED 100
    Pool Cleaner Polaris 3900w/Pump (black)
    Spa
    Heater Zodica Propane LRZ 400K BTU
    Blower 1 HP Polaris Metal Blower

Excavation:
    Dig Type Bobcat dig w/ bobcat shuttle
    Concrete Removal 169Sf

Steel:
    Steel schedule: #3Rebar 10 ocew w/alternates with alternates in stress areas
    Beam 12 Box Beam with 4 continuous rebar
    Deck dowels : Included

Plumbing:
    Skimmer Run: 30ft
    Skimmers: 2 2 independent lines to equipment
    Returns: 5 2 main supply line
    Main Drains: 6
    Waterstop return fittings: 13
    Cleaner line: 1 1 dedicated line
    Overflow: 1
    Fill line: 1 tied to sprinklers
    Autofill until installed: 1
    Spa Jets: 6

Electrical:
    Electrical Run: 30ft
    Lights: 3ea

Gunite:
    Pneumatically Applied Concrete: 3000PSI/6 Sack Mix

Tile and Coping
    Oklahoma Flagstone: 118lf
    6 Waterline tile: 101lf
    Spa Coping : Oklahoma Flagstone 28lf
    Spillway: standard

Water Features
    24 Weeping Wall : 17feet

Decking:
    2 Color Rock Texture: 1106 SF All deck reinforced with #3 rebar 16 on center
    Drainage: Included all necessary drains and downspout hookups
    Mastic: color matched and sanded joint sealer

Plaster:
    Northside Quartz

Clean Up:
    Trash removal and final grade
    1 load of top soil
    Fence removal and reinstall

Fire pit
    5x12 round wood burning

Included:
    Sprinkler reroute
    Rock sealing and acid washing

Other:
    Lifetime transferable structural warranty
    Rock charge not included

Price:
    $65k

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DFW Pool Quote

Welcome to tfp, aggie_bh

Assuming that "Fusion-Salt Kit" is a swg combined with Nature2 minerals, I would consider scraping that and just go with a straight swg. You do not want metals the mineral systems add to your pool water.

What size plumbing for the spa?

You may want to use the google search of this site (near upper right of page) and look into the stone use with swg.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Spa plumbing is not specifed. What is the recomendation for spa plumbing size?

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!!!

Quote Originally Posted by aggie_bh
    Spa plumbing is not specifed. What is the recomendation for spa plumbing size?
    BIG Depends on the # of jets, but generally you can not go too big to increase flow rate.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Just curious, who is the builder? The quote seems really low for everything you are getting.
    28000 gallon IG pool, 3.5ft - 8ft deep, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Interior, Pentair Intellichlor SWG, Pentair Quad DE 100 filter, Pentair Intelliflo VS-SVRS, Whisperflo 3hp (water features), A&A Max in floor cleaning, Pentair Easytouch 8 Automation, Screenlogic II, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, Pentair Intellichem with acid injection via stennar pump, 9'x7' spa with Infiniti edge

6. Back To Top    #6

I'll only comment on the price at the moment becase it is so surprising to me how much more pool you can get in DFW for the money. I can say with certainty that is easily a 90K pool in Midland/Odessa. I see these a lot, and can only conclude that is the sheer amount of competition there.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

7. Back To Top    #7

That price seems very low compared to similar pools in austin. Congrats, take advantage of the killer deal! I knew I should have moved to Dallas......
    43 x 19 Gunite Pool w/ spa and fire pit, 19,000 gallons, Pebble Sheen Aqua Blue finish, Jandy 2 HP VS E-pump, Jandy 580 sq ft Cartridge Filter, Jandy LXI 400k Heater, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, 4 Jandy LED color lights, Aqualink PDA and Iaqualink, Polaris 280 with Booster Pump. Polaris 9550 Robot Cleaner. 1 HP Silencer Air Blower for Spa http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...NAL-INSPECTION

8. Back To Top    #8

Crazy low price....crazy
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by jamcha02
    Just curious, who is the builder? The quote seems really low for everything you are getting.
    jamcha02. I'll pm you the builders name. They came highly recommended from a few coworkers.

All the low price comments are making me a little worried I'm missing something here.

10. Back To Top    #10

Main Drains: 6
    Is this right?

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    Assuming that "Fusion-Salt Kit" is a swg combined with Nature2 minerals, I would consider scraping that and just go with a straight swg.
    ^ What he said.

All the low price comments are making me a little worried I'm missing something here.
    Seems to be in line with the quotes we got a few years ago when we were considering a pool build at our former house. The pool we were considering was a little smaller, included a spa, but no other water features or SWG.

I have to make my usual comment on plumbing...Make sure that no plumbing is run under the pool except for the main drain(s). Some builders use what they call the "direct method" and will run any, and perhaps all, plumbing under the pool if that is the most direct (shortest) path. I would put a stip in the contract disallowing this. I would also take pics during the build so you will have some general idea where all the buried plumbing/equipment is in case you ever need to get at it.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

11. Back To Top    #11

I think the price is in line for DFW Bo, just not here. The oil boom has everyone here price scaled with a pump jack or two in the back yard.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

12. Back To Top    #12

My pool was just built (in DFW) and it was $39,000 for 14,000 gallons. Your price doesn't seem too far off from what I might expect in DFW's market.
    New Pool: 22 x 35 | StoneScape Mini - Midnight Blue | ~17,500 gallons | Jandy Equipment - Built spring 2015 (click for details and pictures)
    Old Pool: 16 x 30 | QuartzBrite | 14,000 gallons | Pentair Equipment - Built summer of 2013 (click for details and pictures)

13. Back To Top    #13

I wish I lived in DFW!!

My very simple setup cost more than that in OH!
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by toofast
    I wish I lived in DFW!!
    Heat index today is 105. Real temperature across the weekend is going to be around 103. The good side is that pool season is far from over!
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH
    Heat index today is 105. Real temperature across the weekend is going to be around 103. The good side is that pool season is far from over!
    Our pool season (mn) is close to over and we have been hitting 110+ in heat index the previous few days.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

16. Back To Top    #16

Welcome to the forum. I'm a newbie too.

First of all, I agree with those who think that this is a really good price. You can see my run down here new-pool-build-lewisville-tx-help-gunite-cracks-t61141.html. It appears to me that you are getting about as much pool as me plus a weeping wall, fire pit and LED lighting. Now I've got 17 piers so maybe that reconciles the price. I didn't do an exhaustive search but the other PBs in my bid process were $12K to $18K higher than the PB I selected. So I don't know that you are getting a price so low that you should worry but I do think you are getting a good price.

Check out as many references as you can especially if there's any way to source them yourselves. That's how I got comfortable that my PB was giving me value not a cheap pool. He's built 60 pools in our development and many of them are for friends of mine. So I was able to talk to people he didn't refer me to.

Regarding the OK flagstone, there's a lot of discussion on this board and as many opinions as you could want. There's a company in DFW, Southern Wind, that feels so strongly that salt and flagstone are fine that they will warranty it. (They were also the most expensive builder I talked to). Our builder believe that if you have good stone it isn't much of an issue. Check out this thread for more details on my PBs view on flagstone. post553319.html#p553319

Good luck and, please, give us lots of pics.
    Inground Gunite, plaster surface. 28,000 gallons, modified L shape with diving area and play area, attached spa, all pentair equipment, SWG, variable speed, DE Filter, Nature 2 Express. Taylor 2006 test kit.
    Why should you become a Lifetime Supporter of TFP? Because the first time you have a problem and you get the solution at TFP you will recoup your cost many times over.

17. Back To Top    #17

I'm in DFW with a pool build currently underway, and I'll echo other comments: that's a very good price for the size and features of your pool (but not ridiculously low or anything...I wouldn't worry too much about that).
    17,000 inground gunite pool finished June 2013. Pentair variable speed something or another. Polaris cleaner, inline rainbow chlorinator. Using trichlor until CYA reaches 50-60.

18. Back To Top    #18

Can you ask your PB if he will come to OKC?
    35,000 gallon gunite pool, semi-T-shaped, 29x15 shallow end and 16x22 deep end, built in the mid-1970s and renovated 2013-2014 // Polaris 9300 Sport robotic cleaner // Taylor K-2006 ... Learning as we go and so grateful to everyone here for their help! Our reno thread

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by MiaOKC
    Can you ask your PB if he will come to OKC?
    Sorry Mia, he has to come to Midland first and in a hurry...before I sign a contract!

OP- Don't worry the price is too low. It doesn't seem the case for DFW, so if he is reputable, go for it. Keep us posted and updated with lots of pics when you build please!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

20. Back To Top    #20

I will second the comments by Otis. I am starting a build with Southernwind next week. Lifetime warranty on all stonework against flaking or degrading with salt. They are definitely more expensive but construction quality is top notch.
    28000 gallon IG pool, 3.5ft - 8ft deep, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Interior, Pentair Intellichlor SWG, Pentair Quad DE 100 filter, Pentair Intelliflo VS-SVRS, Whisperflo 3hp (water features), A&A Max in floor cleaning, Pentair Easytouch 8 Automation, Screenlogic II, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, Pentair Intellichem with acid injection via stennar pump, 9'x7' spa with Infiniti edge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast