Need to raise ch and slam

We need a lot more info than that!

What are you trying to do?
Post a full set of test results?
Why do you need to SLAM?

By the way, they're full of it. You can add other chems an hour after adding the last.

Ditto. Post up your test results (using your own kit ... right ???) and you will get better advice here.

If you are careful, you could use cal-hypo to both raise the FC and the CH at the same time.

I started a new topic because the thread had many responses about lowering CYA. My CYA level was 360 I drained a portion and refilled. Cya is still 140 I can not drain again for a couple of months due to water restrictions. So for the time I am using polyquat 60 weekly and chlorine. After the drain my current test results are

FC 6
CC.2
PH 7.4
TA 110
CH 150
CYA 140

I thought I should slam after the refill and my high cya. But CH is low. Was told to add Calcium chloride run pump 24 hours and not add additional chems during this time. Since the slam process is high chlorine especially given my cya number and needing to raise 46 fc during this process, I was concerned about doing both at the same time. What is the highest priority raising ch or slamming

yes I am using my own kit k 2006

Based on Chem geeks Chlorine/CYA chart a shock level of 40% of my CYA of 140 would be 56. I am at 43 the chlorine smell is very strong. If this holds over night and my cc is less than .5 am I good, or do I really need to take it up to 56. If I was off on the CYA by 20 then I would be in the 48 range. Very concerned about this high level of chlorine

If you pass the OCLT, the CC are not more than 0.5, and the water is clear and you see no algae ... then you are done SLAMing (even though you never reached shock level).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
jblizzle said:
Does not matter, safe to swim up to shock level if that is your concern. You could swim now ... assuming your CYA and FC are accurate.

It may take a few days to drop.
The smell is so strong. Felt like I needed to wash my arm after retrieving water for chlorine test

If the smell is very strong you probably have CC, which means your chlorine is reacting with something. I wonder if it is reacting with the polyquat... Either way make sure to test for both FC and CC in the morning. If you do have CC above 0.5 then raise up to full shock level. Don't worry about damage, the high CYA buffers the chlorine a lot. Shock level was calculated to be safe on liners, equipment, and people.

dkbrat said:
... How long will it take for chlorine levels to drop back to 9?

Your MINIMUM level of FC for CYA 140 is about 10 with your target being about 16. You don't want to ever let it drop below minimum if you can help it. As stated you can swim when FC is below shock level. I'm pretty certain you could safely swim at levels well above even that, but you might risk some fading of your swimsuit. Unless of course its the one you were born with. :mrgreen:

When you get around to adding the CH, we do suggest that you add it on a day when you are not adding/adjusting anything else. Sometimes it can cause cloudiness and if you are not doing any other adjustments at the time, you will know what the cause is.

FCC dropped to 29. Cc .5. Back to home depot. I need to check my portfolio and make sure I have stock in home depot. BTW. I noticed they have 10%pool chlorine. I have been using the 8.3% in the 121oz jugs that say they are equal to 182oz. I don't know the size of the 10% to compare pricing, but am I better off using the 10%? Or is that just a matter of cost.

I noticed that the bottles were very dirty and stored outside. I decided to go with inside chlorox was not sure how long they had been sitting in 100 degree temps and may have degraded. If that is possible

Just poking in here for a bleach comment... I see you're buying it at Home Depot... and clorox brand at that... Price wise you can probably find cheaper 8.25% looking in walmart (great value brand) or better yet, if you have a Target nearby and they're running the same sale as they are in my area, you can get it at $2.99 for the 121oz AND it's buy 3 get one free. Makes it $2.24 per bottle. It is "Up and Up" brand which is Target's store brand.

Just trying to save you some money! :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.