Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Indicator Solutions in Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Indicator Solutions in Pool

I'm interested in anybody's opinion on tossing indicator solutions into a pool or spa after completing the test. As a previous state bathing place inspector I was always taught (and I taught in my training classes) that is is rude to toss the test chemicals into the pool. After all, would you like if someone spilled wine into your pool? I complained to a local pool care company about their personnel who do that, and they just laughed, saying it has no effect on the pool. I disagree. What say you?

2. Back To Top    #2
    DFW, Texas

Re: Indicator Solutions in Pool

Welcome to TFP!

We do not recommend dumping test reagents or pool samples with reagents in them into the pool. Dump all reagents & pool sample/reagent mixes down a sink drain with the tap water running.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3
    SouthWest Alabama

I wouldn't want some of the chems in the pool. A few of the reagents are poison. While it's likely never to build up enough to be an issue it's just bad practice. A commercial company that allows it's employees to do that is accepting a huge liability.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

The amount of reagent that would go into a pool from a normal test is STUNNINGLY small....somewhere around one in 200 million if I WAGged the math closely on an average 20k pool.

Nevertheless, I would consider it poor practice for a professional to do it. Villageman's description of "rude" is probably more apt than any harm that would come from it.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

To laugh at a customer like that is the height of unprofessionalism. If the management of that company didn't agree when I called that in, they would be fired on the spot. No question about it for me. Dumping reagents in a pool/spa is just bad practice. Period.

PS- I forgot my manners. Welcome to TFP Villageman!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for all your replies. It's comforting to know that I'm just not being picky

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome, and you are definitely not being picky. Even if you were, it is YOUR pool! Absolutely a bad practice.
    16x32 in-ground vinyl-lined pool
    Hayward 1.5 hp 2 speed pump
    Hayward 24" Pro-Series High rate sand filter
    Pentair Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Pentair multi-color LED light.
    TF-100 Test Kit (the best test kit EVER!!!! If you don't have one, get one NOW!)

8. Back To Top    #8

The service people should be respectful of your concerns. If you tell them that you don't like it, then they should not do it.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Toronto, Ont

Bad form indeed! It never occurred to me to dump test reagents into my pool. Bad news.
    Lagoon 40x22, Vinyl, 27,000 gal, 1HP WhisperFlo Pump, Pentair 60 gpm Sand filter, Hayward Brominator (used for chlorine pucks only when away), Rheem gas heater, Dolphin M4 Robot
    Waterfall on separate dedicated pump