CYA question and more

afrikaanmomma

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 22, 2013
SW Ohio
Hello,

I am a newbie and have been SLAMing my pool for 9 days. It has gone from nasty green to cloudy blue, but has been stuck at cloudy blue for 3 days. We have cleaned the sand filter and added DE. I am still losing 3ppm consistently over night, so I know I am not done. We have dismantled the ladder steps and thoroughly scrubbed and cleaned them as well as taken the light out.

As of this morning: FC 13.5, CC 0.5, pH 7.2 TA 130, CYA 35/40
I added 2 bottles of chlorine (96oz 10%) to raise FC to 16/17

How often I should check CYA? Does it change a lot? Because then I would need to be more vigilant on my FC count.

Also, I bought the Taylor 2006 kit and I will need to purchase another bottle of Titrating Reagent R-0871-A. Any recommendations on where to get it, and should I go with a large bottle? Does it keep from year to year?

Thank you for any help on the above questions, as well as advice on how to get it sparkly and ready for Labor Day!!

afrikaanmomma said:
Hello,

I am a newbie and have been SLAMing my pool for 9 days. It has gone from nasty green to cloudy blue, but has been stuck at cloudy blue for 3 days. We have cleaned the sand filter and added DE. I am still losing 3ppm consistently over night, so I know I am not done. We have dismantled the ladder steps and thoroughly scrubbed and cleaned them as well as taken the light out.

As of this morning: FC 13.5, CC 0.5, pH 7.2 TA 130, CYA 35/40
I added 2 bottles of chlorine (96oz 10%) to raise FC to 16/17

How often I should check CYA? Does it change a lot? Because then I would need to be more vigilant on my FC count.

Also, I bought the Taylor 2006 kit and I will need to purchase another bottle of Titrating Reagent R-0871-A. Any recommendations on where to get it, and should I go with a large bottle? Does it keep from year to year?

Thank you for any help on the above questions, as well as advice on how to get it sparkly and ready for Labor Day!!
CYA doesn't change much unless you add some more or exchange water. TFTestkits.net is a good place to purchase supplies. It does last if you store it inside out of the sun.

Your FC seems a little low. You might check your CYA again.

CYA is relatively stable, so there is no need to check it daily or even weekly. I check mine monthly and even that might be too frequently for me. Looking at your CYA results (35/40), I would go with 40 which means you need to bump your FC up to 16 ppm.

afrikaanmomma said:
You can buy this here: TFTest Kits Refills (scroll to bottom of page). These are Taylor reagents and are compatible with the K-2006 as well as TF-100. The 2 oz refill is the better buy. It will keep for well over a year if it is stored in a dark, cool, dry place.

I just reread my post and I wanted to clarify something. I suggested checking your CYA again because it can be a difficult test to master. Your level won't change much but it does determine your shock value. If your CYA is actually higher, you need to hold a higher FC level. Low levels of FC drag the process out.

I am such a perfectionist that this CYA test is killing me. I guess it is 40, but I swear I can still see the ever-most slight greyish dot at the bottom. At 35 the dot is completely gone from my eagle eye!!
Which should I choose? 35 or 40?

I am guessing it is best say 40 to be on the safe side to bring FC high enough, right? i dosed the pool with another bottle of chlorine and the readings are now: FC 20, CC 0.5, CYA 40, TA 130, pH 7.4. I am using some well water to fill the pool from the backwash loss.

afrikaanmomma said:
I am such a perfectionist that this CYA test is killing me. I guess it is 40, but I swear I can still see the ever-most slight greyish dot at the bottom. At 35 the dot is completely gone from my eagle eye!!
Which should I choose? 35 or 40?

I am guessing it is best say 40 to be on the safe side to bring FC high enough, right? i dosed the pool with another bottle of chlorine and the readings are now: FC 20, CC 0.5, CYA 40, TA 130, pH 7.4. I am using some well water to fill the pool from the backwash loss.
Use 40 and you are close enough. The accuracy on the test itself can throw you off 5 points. I just wanted to make sure you were not way off. I know the first time I tried it I wasn't even close.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.