Relocation of circulation equipment

Kwikee

Feb 13, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
As part of our pool/backyard renovation, I am going to relocate the pump and filter, and add a SWG and solar heating. Reason being the area where the pump currently resides will be excavated when the yard is redesigned, plus it is further from the house and next to the proposed pool house.

The relocation point will be closer to the skimmer and one of the returns, but further from the other one. It appears the pool is currently plumbed in 2" (50mm) from the skimmer to the pump, then 1 1/2" (40mm) through the filter and back to the returns. I plan to keep the same set up, but will be adding a second suction point, controlled by a valve to run an automatic cleaner and also act as a suction relief point for the skimmer. I figure I can dig down the back of the concrete where the jets/skimmer is and expose the old pipe, then cut and join in the new lines. Obviously the new suction will need to be core drillled through the concrete, then epoxied and sealed.

The main difference will be that the pump/filter will now be about 18" (450mm) lower than the pool, whereas it is currently about 12" (300mm) higher. Is there anything I need to do differently or be aware of? I was planning to run all the plumbing from the pool up to just under the paving level, then to the pump to create a trap effect. Is this necessary?
For the second suction, if I am planning to attach an automated cleaner, what sort of fitting/connection does it need to be?
The pool is around 11,000gal (42,000L) and runs a Hayward Super II 1.5hp pump.

Any suggestions or experience welcome!

You need to be aware that any cuts you make below the surface level of the water in the pool will be on lines that have pressure on them. You can plug the skimmer and returns pretty easily to keep the cuts fairly dry, but if you have a drain, it can be pretty difficult to get dry pipe to work with.

The one thing you need to watch is the balance on your return lines. Normally pools are plumbed in a way that looks strange. The pipes run all over the place so that the plumbing run to each return is the same length. As long as you tap into the line that feeds the returns now, you'll be fine, but if you get between two returns, you will have issues with some returns having more flow than others.

With the suction line, you'll want that to run from the pump to the port. If you tap into an existing line near the pool, you won't have any way to control how much suction is on that line vs. the skimmer. You want it to "T" with the existing line with either a valve on each line or a 3-way valve to control them.

With the pump below the water level, you will have an easier time priming, but you'll want to make sure you have valves in your lines so you can stop water flow to work on the equipment.

Thanks, John. The pool will be empty while I do the re-plumbing and good, secure joints are critical since I have an air leak somewhere in the current plumbing that I can't find!

If I am between two returns, should I include a valve or flow control of some sort to regulate the flow between the jets? I'd say I'll go to the back of each return jet and re-do from there, but it is about 8m further to the furthest jet than the nearest. I should expect problems then?

Also, what sort of fitting should the second suction point have if I am planning to attach an automatic cleaner to it? Threaded? Smooth? Something else?

Thanks!

I would try to tap into the existing return line from the equipment, even if you need more pipe to do so. If not, lay out new pipe that equalizes flow. The only practical way to balance flow is with pipe length. The pipe doubles back on itself along the pool to make all the runs nearly equal length.

On mine, IIRC, they ran straight from the pump to the area of the first return and ran pipe all the way to the furthest return and hooked it up. Then they tapped the line for the first return halfway between the first and the furthest which made their runs equal. Then they tapped the pipe for the second return halfway between the second and the furthest making their runs equal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.