Help!! flow error/ pressure switch open?

Aug 28, 2013
Just bought a new/used hot tub, filled and when I turn it on jets come on and everything seems ok then..... error -03 ( water flow problem) it will show the error and turn off pump and heater. It will wait a minute then kick on and shut of 10 seconds later. It will then come on for 10 minutes straight then back to error..... I took out the old filter and ran without filter with no luck. Any ideas?

Sounds like the flow switch is bad or at least intermittent.

Give us all the info you can about the tub. Asaking us to diagnose the problem without telling us what brand, type and size it is, is like asking why won't my vehicle keep running.

Its a 98 Aspen Sweetwater spa, has a two speed sundance theramax pump, running off 110v right now (do have a 240v hookup that i might switch to) The tubs a four person 10 jet . If the tubs power is pulled for a few minutes and plugged back in the tub will clear the error and I can kick the jets on low/high without a problem but then 5 or 10 minutes later the tub kicks off throws the error and then trys to kick back on , runs the pump but kicks off after 10 seconds and repeats this cycle.

I was researching online and saw that it could be the pressure switch needs adjusting? Also pressure switch terminals and connections need cleaning? The spa did sit for three years ( drained ) and i just has the seals on the pump replaced ( also the impeller cause they broke it when replacing seal ) Going to go home on my lunch break and try these tips but ANY help will be greatly appreciated! Thank you ( oh and its a two speed pump that does circulation also )

So i broke down and bought/replaced the pressure switch and its still throwing a "pressure switch open " error code. It will turn on and run for awhile without throwing the error code, but when i turn the power back on and reset the hot tub and turn the jets on HIGH it will throw the error code after 5 seconds. So it seems like turning the jets on high trips it faster but on low when the tub its just trying to fire up and heat the tub it throws the error after about 15 minutes. Any possible areas to look???

well, I left the hot tub on with the new pressure switch on and it cleared the error and now is running and heating!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have not tried to turn the jets on high though with fear it might trip the error.....I can't handle another problem with this tub at this moment and dont know why jets on high would effect the flow switch error ... Still open to any thoughts on why the error would occur when i turn them on high? thanks for all the help

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pressure switch OPEN. The tub keeps temp and will run now only throwing the Pressure switch open ERROR once in a while BUT anytime I kick the jets on HIGH or cycle through the jets ( low to high back to off and repeat ) it will throw the error ( pressure switch open ) Any reason turing the jets on higher would make the error trip faster?

I have the pressure switch at like 1 and year it seems the high the number i adjust the more it trips. When you say " shut the air injection off " do you mean the Dial that is low to max thats out of the water??

Ok turned those and its just water, not so bubbly . So with only 4 of 10 jets on it will run on low and high just fine...... But running all jets wide open trips the error. Let me tell you the owners manual error definition -03 Water Flow Problem ( Pessure switch is not closed when pump is activated. Heater is deactivated. Proper flow of water is inhibited or pressure switch has malfunctioned. Check for proper water level, pump is primed and/or clogged filter. ) That is what the manual says..... Just not sure why tub won't allow me to have all jets on at the same time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.