Advice on repairing heat pump

Mike_k

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 16, 2012
Mason, Ohio
Last week I noticed that my heat pump wasn't working right. I called Raypak - the rep walked me through a few things and determined that the problem was either the capacitor or the contactor. His advice was to replace both. The heat pump is two years old. The parts were under warranty, but the labor was not. So I'm hoping that these are things that I can replace myself. I received both parts but no instructions. It looks like both should be plug 'n play, but thought I'd check here for any advice on what to make sure I do (triple check that the breaker is off) and what to make sure I don't do.

Here are the parts:
capacitor.jpg

Capacitor

contactor.jpg

Contactor

Thanks!

Take pictures of the installed parts and then unhook the wires one at a time and hook it onto the new part. Then unmount the old part and mount the new part.

CAUTION: The capacitor can hold a charge. Short across the terminals with screwdriver (or other insulated handled device) to make sure it's discharged. Be aware that you may get a spark when doing that. It should self discharge if the power has been off a while, but you never know.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.