Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Advice on repairing heat pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Advice on repairing heat pump

Last week I noticed that my heat pump wasn't working right. I called Raypak - the rep walked me through a few things and determined that the problem was either the capacitor or the contactor. His advice was to replace both. The heat pump is two years old. The parts were under warranty, but the labor was not. So I'm hoping that these are things that I can replace myself. I received both parts but no instructions. It looks like both should be plug 'n play, but thought I'd check here for any advice on what to make sure I do (triple check that the breaker is off) and what to make sure I don't do.

Here are the parts:

Capacitor

Contactor

Thanks!
    34K gal IG, 37'x40' lagoon, vinyl, Pentair IntelliFlo VS Pump, 500# Hayward sand filter, Jandy SWG, Raypac heat pump, 4 deck jets, Hayward Super Pump + deck fountain, Dolphin Oasis Z5

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Advice on repairing heat pump

Take pictures of the installed parts and then unhook the wires one at a time and hook it onto the new part. Then unmount the old part and mount the new part.

CAUTION: The capacitor can hold a charge. Short across the terminals with screwdriver (or other insulated handled device) to make sure it's discharged. Be aware that you may get a spark when doing that. It should self discharge if the power has been off a while, but you never know.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Advice on repairing heat pump

Good advice - thanks!
    34K gal IG, 37'x40' lagoon, vinyl, Pentair IntelliFlo VS Pump, 500# Hayward sand filter, Jandy SWG, Raypac heat pump, 4 deck jets, Hayward Super Pump + deck fountain, Dolphin Oasis Z5