Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Spa Draining After Equipment Goes Off

1. Back To Top    #1

Spa Draining After Equipment Goes Off

Hello... I was curious if anyone can tell me why my in-ground spa drains about 50% just under the therapy jets after I turn off the pool equipment?

I assume it's a faulty check valve, but curious if there are steps I should take to eliminate possibilities?

Thanks in advance!
    10000 Gallon Inground Plaster Pool with attached Spa, 2 Horse Pump, Hayward s244S Sand Filter, Hayward H250FD Heater, Quick Skim, Water Feature (waterfall from Spa to Pool), In-ground Pop-up Cleaning System (4 in spa, 13 in pool)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Spa Draining After Equipment Goes Off

Is the spa water level where it stops dropping still above the pool water level?

If so sounds like it is draining back into the pool through the spa jet line ... so likely a leaking check valve (or 3-way valve depending on your plumbing).
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah... it for sure is draining back into the pool... and yes, the water levels are the same in the spa and pool
    10000 Gallon Inground Plaster Pool with attached Spa, 2 Horse Pump, Hayward s244S Sand Filter, Hayward H250FD Heater, Quick Skim, Water Feature (waterfall from Spa to Pool), In-ground Pop-up Cleaning System (4 in spa, 13 in pool)

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, since it is stopping at the same level, that means the water could be going through the drain or the jets. Add some pictures of your plumbing setup.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

[attachment=0:20ds6fr4]Screen Shot 2013-08-27 at 7.02.23 PM.png[/attachment:20ds6fr4]

you can see two of the three check valves in the image... the other is attached to the Spa Cleaning on the top right side... let me know if you need other angles.

Thx!

6. Back To Top    #6

Sounds like you need to pull the covers off those check valves and inspect and repair them.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit