installation questions radiant metric pool

Aug 27, 2013
Hello all ... I'm brand new to this site and forum. Hoping to get some answers to installation questions for a Radiant Metric pool that is has the following dimensions ... 12' x 24' (oval) and 52" (wall height).

> My space is relatively small and pretty flat. I'd like to put the entire pool semi-inground ... 3 feet in the ground, leaving 16 inches out of the ground.

> I'd like to build a wooden bench (very similar to a deck, but not as big) all around the pool. I imagine having this oval wooden bench around the pool would serve as a sitting area for people hanging out outside the pool and an easy hop-up-to-sit area for the people in the pool.

Questions:

(1) Considering the fact that I live in northern California (East Bay Area) where it gets really, really hot and really cold, but barely ever to the point of freezing ... do I need extra insulation for the bottom and/or sides of this Radiant pool? (Basically, do I need something more than what is already specified in the Radiant pool installation instructions. It just says to level the bottom of the pool with sand.) Will a solar cover be sufficient in terms of natural heating?

(2) Do I need a concrete collar?

(3) The pool will be located 40 feet from the nearest electrical outlet (power source). Should I hire an electrician to add a power source closer to the pool?)

(4) Do you see any problems with backfilling the pool with the excavated dirt then topped with gravel?

Thank you so much in advance for any advice you can provide!

(1) Considering the fact that I live in northern California (East Bay Area) where it gets really, really hot and really cold, but barely ever to the point of freezing ... do I need extra insulation for the bottom and/or sides of this Radiant pool? (Basically, do I need something more than what is already specified in the Radiant pool installation instructions. It just says to level the bottom of the pool with sand.) Will a solar cover be sufficient in terms of natural heating?
I would venture to say that you don't need anything but the pool. I grew up in Pleasanton and it never gets cold enough to be a serious issue unless we get another one of the 20F or below weeks but even then, the days should be warm enough. Run the pump if you are concerned about freezing. The soil will protect the base enough

(2) Do I need a concrete collar?
Only if the installations require it. I see the Radiant brand is rated for partial burial. Be sure the model you get is.
(3) The pool will be located 40 feet from the nearest electrical outlet (power source). Should I hire an electrician to add a power source closer to the pool?)
YES. NEC Code is special for pools
(4) Do you see any problems with backfilling the pool with the excavated dirt then topped with gravel?
I have read using a compactable fill is better than a soil or pea gravel back fill. It packs in and exerts less pressure on the pool and is more stable long term. Some burials require a "concrete slurry" backfill. I would follow Radiants instructions. Don't cut costs, what says a couple hundred today may cost thousands to fix later.

In my pool, I have much more invested in deck and surround than in the actual pool. Your filter and pump are more important long term that the pool in what it requires long term.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I just wanted to comment on #3 after Guy's post.
It depends where you are going to put your pump and filter. If they are going to be near the pool, then you will need to add a power source. Alternatively, you could put the equipment pad near the existing power source and run the plumbing underground to the pool. In this case you may still need to have some electrical work done depending on how your pump is to be wired.

Thank you so much for the quick responses! A few more questions in regards to the feedback ...

GUY --> Speaking of said, be sure to bond your pool.

I did a little research and am still confused on exactly what "bond your pool" is. Sorry ... may I please ask for a simple explanation of what that is?

Also ... in regards to the "deck-like" bench I want to put around the outside perimeter of the entire pool ... instead of wood, I have also considered using pavers or concrete blocks or retaining wall blocks. Again, the exposed part of the pool will be out of the ground about 16 inches, which is about the height of a bench. Has anyone heard of doing something like this? If so, I'd love some advice about one method versus another.

Thank you again!

I am not the best resource on bonding but essentially for a bond, you need to connect your pool walls, metal, water, decking, pump and surrounding soil with a copper conductor. This removes the potential for "gradients" to occur from stray voltage. This means when you step/climb out of the pool, you are not going to be shocked. I think there is a good thread around here about it.

My pool is on grade but I did build my deck above grade but below the fence line. I didn't like the idea of my pool decking being the same height as my fence. My deck is about a foot off the ground in most areas and about 3 feet below the tops of the walls. I do have a high deck in the back corner of the yard, at pool wall height, actually a couple inches below. All of the deck surface is composite wood.

IMG_5147.JPG

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.