Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Calcium hardness shot up! What gives?

1. Back To Top    #1

Calcium hardness shot up! What gives?

Folks,
    My CH was rocking along at 400 then shot up today to 425.
    We did get alot of rain early this week. Below are my other readings:
    FC 5.5
    PH 7.8 added acid
    TA 100
    CH 425
    CYA 49

I am using the dreaded pucks and did shock the pool a bit before the rain.
    Any comments welcome?
    13K IG Pool with Raised Spa
    Jandy E Pump- 2HP Variable Speed
    Jandy CV460 Cartridge Filter
    Jandy LXI 40,000 Heater
    Polaris 9300 Robot

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Calcium hardness shot up! What gives?

What kind of "shock powder" did you use?
    What test kit are you using?

The CH test has every drop either 10ppm or 25ppm ... so you are saying it "shot up" by 1 drop which is the accuracy of the test in the first place?

Time to stop using the pucks before your CYA gets any higher.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Using the Taylor K-2006 complete FAS-DPD and I used the "please don't shoot me" Leslie's power powder plus.
    Jandy LXI 40,000 Heater
    Polaris 9300 Robot

4. Back To Top    #4

That is cal-hypo .... it adds calcium to your pool.

Stick with liquid chlorine!! It does not have the side-effects of the solid forms of chlorine which either add stabilizer or calcium.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

So the shock is what raised my CH. I guess I will start using bleach for shock. Anybody want to buy a partial used box of shock?

Is it a good idea to shock before a rain storm?
    Jandy LXI 40,000 Heater
    Polaris 9300 Robot

6. Back To Top    #6

I think we need to clear up some terminology. Why do you keep saying you're "adding some shock" to the pool? You should be using bleach/liquid chlorine to "dose" the pool so that it always stays in the maintenance FC range given your CYA level. In your case, your FC should never, ever go below 4.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

7. Back To Top    #7

We try to avoid the 5 letter S word around here ... means too many different things to different people.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

My CH is still 425PPM. I have only used bleach since my last episode. Below are my readings from the Taylor K-2006 kit:
    FC 5.5
    PH 7.9
    TA 100
    CH 425
    CYA 73

I have turned off the tri chlor puck feeder to just a 1/4 on and have not used any cal-hypo again. My CYA reading on Monday was 79. I hope I'm on the right track. Unfortunately my CH has not come down any. Am I ok at 425? We have had a lot of rain the last few days and forecast for more tomorrow. Will that help my CH and CYA?

Went by pool store just to compare my test results and they tried to sell me phosphate and more shock saying I was going to eat up my pipes by using bleach. They are just trying to make very cent they can!
    Jandy LXI 40,000 Heater
    Polaris 9300 Robot

9. Back To Top    #9

Your CYA is getting pretty high, you should really stop using any tablets. The rain will only help lower the CH and CYA if you end up pumping water out of the pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

CYA and CH will only go down with water replacement. This means that you will have to do one of two things:

A partial drain and refill, or capture as much rainwater as you can.

At 425 CH, you can control by being vigilant with your TA and pH. See posts by Richard320 for advice on this.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

11. Back To Top    #11

CH will not go down from evaporation. The water evaporates; the CH stays. To reduce CH, you must remove water - drain, splash-out, overflow from rain. As said above, 425 is manageable. You'll have to keep your pH and TA on the lower side of the range.

Your CYA and continued puck usage is more concerning. CYA doesn't go down with evaporation, either. It will keep building up until you remove water, just like with CH. You're close to having unmanageable CYA for your pool. I recommend turning off that chlorinator and using only liquid chlorine.
    Outdoor 14,000 gallon IG plaster pool built in 2000 with spillover spa, 2 hp WhisperFlo pump with MagneTek motor, Sta-Rite cartridge pool filter with 300 ft2 filtration area and 0.33 gpm/ft2 filtration rate, Aquabot Rapids 4WD robotic pool cleaner, Raypak digital gas heater, and Intermatic mechanical timer located in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by CAVJOCK22
    Went by pool store just to compare my test results and they tried to sell me phosphate and more shock saying I was going to eat up my pipes by using bleach. They are just trying to make very cent they can!
    These types of completely erroneous statements are why so many of us loathe the information from pool stores. That is an absolute falsehood.
    If it were true, Chlorine from any source would destroy the pipes.

You have no need to compare your results to the PS. One cornerstone of our philosophy here, is to trust your own testing results.

The only way to reduce CH and CYA is to add water to the pool that does not contain either one. This is a classic example of where dilution is the solution.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

13. Back To Top    #13

You need to stop adding CH and CYA via powdered forms of chlorine. To lower them, you need to drain and refill with fresh water. Grab as much rainwater as you can! I have a raingutter downspout diverted into my pool just for that purpose. The first few hours tend to have a lot of dirt, so maybe wait until the roof is clean before you try that.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!